Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What do I do?

RUMBLEFISH

I have posted this before and still due to my rookieness Im not sure what to tell the rebuilder. This is a 12hp briggs our of a B212 and Im having it bored out new valves installed and seated. The question he had for me is how to remove the cam. Here is a pic of it at his shop but I want to be clear before I tell him what to do.

I see I have to take the govenor off but do I drive the pin into the block carfully then tap the shaft into the block and work it out the bottom? Or do I do it another way.

54031561.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

12hp002.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also do they have a tech manual for this engine. The only one I have is huge (I printed it up) that covers from the really old to aluminum block later years. Its not real specific to for the sychro 12hp.

Thanks as always.

camgers.jpg

There should have been a long bolt that went into the cam gear shaft (at least my 16hp have them). I would stack washers up the cam gear shaft until they were above the cam gear shaft and use them as a puller with the long bolt. Just like on removing the bushing for the points plunger. Keep adding washers until the cam gear shaft comes out of the cam.Once the cam gear shaft is removed, you may not need to remove the top pin.The Briggs repair manuals are lousy. They need to send their publications department over to Kohler for training.Not sure you have the manual I have but if you need it send your email address in a PM.

camgers.jpg.fe29bc963005e2c5c61db28d479a0910.jpg