Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

limited slip

thatlevi

quote:Originally posted by thatlevi

Does anyone know how I would go about removing the limited slip from my 6011 trans.

id="quote">
id="quote">You have a Broadmoor II and it has no limited slip. If you are having a slipping problem, two prblems. clutch pedal needs to be adjusted or drive belt is too long.

It has limited slip diff. in the trans. yes it is a broadmoor II. limited slip is printed on the back of the tractor trans. housing it is all factory original. It also drives and acts like a diff. with limited slip when I hit a slippery spot with one wheel.

1690348 = No Manuals Available - for that number at Simp/Manuals site.

In the GALLERY:

Broadmoor II 6011, MFR No 1690347

http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/6011_broadmoor_ii.htm

No mention of limited slip

MFR UNKNOWN, not mentioned here.

It seems ??newer models?? have ACT = "auto controlled traction".

http://www.boonetractor.com/simplicity_broadmoor.htm

Why would you want to remove that?

Is it causing problems?

Need actual MFR #.

Unless a rear axle, differential, or limited slip somehow failed and became locked up, why would you wish to remove it? I am just curious.

I have been trying to brake the wheels indepently like my Ariens GT17

had to help with steering when the snowblower is on the tractor.

also like the idea of maybe making it a crawler. I can't brake one side to make it turn when the limited slip kicks in.

mostly just kickin around things in my head.

The original owner told me it was original. I believe him given all the reciepts I got for matainence and everything he ever purchased for it. But I am confident that the trans. has limited slip.

original or not.

Thank you for helping me try to answer this question

quote:Originally posted by thatlevi

Here is a link to brochure stating that the 6008 & 6011 had limited sliphttp://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1978/8_%26_11hp.htm

id="quote">
id="quote">I saw it also. I am sending you the repair manual. It does not mention any adjustments for limited slip, uslaess it has to do with the make up of the assembly which is all internal. Also there is only one brake band for both axles.

I am not looking to adjust it I am trying to remove the limited slip part of the trans. completely I would like to put seperate brake on each wheel.

I know it is internal. wondering if it is something that can be removed.

I think you are talking extensive modifications and redesign. And I think the mods will destroy the value of the tractor. For a crawler project, I think you should start with a less valuable tractor, rather than destroy this one.

There have been threads here discussing problems such as rear is locked up and fulltime "no slip", or the opposite, fulltime "1-wheel wonder", or, the worst, full-time "damage".

You are taking the mechanicals somewhere that was never intended; or the parts simply aren't there. And if you are just brainstorming, I can't see how we can help, or keep up, with that. Nor do I hear you attempting to lead us where your thinking actually and specifically goes.

Maybe someone else knows more, or has been there, done that; but it's news to me, likely others too. Without specific information, or a concrete plan, we are at best chasing your wonderful infinite creative imagination. (and I have been (there) done that). sm01

I could be wrong. I apologize if I am. It just seems there's nothing we can do at this stage. More info. Drawings. Pictures. And still someone would need to "connect" to your plan/idea/intent.

Something like a Jeep might be a good start for a crawler project. A lawn tractor just isn't comparatively capable; especially lacking true 4WD. Also the word "crawler" can mean many things; as it serves many personal interests.

If you come up with something, I would be interested in an article in the Show n Tell forum, about what you did, and how you did it, and how it turned out.

or - wait and see if someone else jumps in with some great ideas or experience.

Perhaps we are not understanding the question. at all.

If you jack up rear end and spin a tire with transmission in gear and the other tire counter spins with out effort, your limited slip has seen its day i would think. After 35 years give or take it might be ineffective now.

Thanks I am or was trying to determine if this mod. was extensive or simple. I made posi. rear end for a tractor in the past it was simple. never dealt with limited slip.

This is part of my thinking in this video.

these videos are what I went by Crawler.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGzKIgqj88I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD5o54zQ-kU

I apoligize if I was confusing or unclear.

I also didn't want to get long winded with my question.

Thank you for your help.

You might try some sites that focus heavily on tractor pulling - some of the stuff they get into is pretty amazing. A net search will pull a lot of links.

As for long-winded comments; I might be the best/worst at that. (who me?) :D

Sometimes it's the cost of clarity - other times, it depends.

(haven't seen your video links yet).

Also, if you haven't already, you could search here for other threads - keywords such as "differential", etc.

I quickly looked at the vid links. You are talking serious ground engagement with something designed to simply mow grass. The trans in pretty much anything designed as a lawn tractor, will be destroyed and fairly quickly. They will pull lightweight in a dump trailer. For serious "ground engagement" you need at least a large frame tractor that's designed to pull heavy load. Large frame Simplicity and Allis tractors are very capable of plowing - Broadmoor is not designed for that. Wrong base for a mod project!

A search here for "crawler" will get some results from previous threads. These crawlers do exist; some likely are still being offered; some pop up in the used market. ("crawler" or "mini-crawler")

HERE'S ONE:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117165&SearchTerms=crawler