Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Large frame tiller on a powermax (720)

rickf

So,

Oregon, clay soils, wet, always made for exciting rides tilling with my b112 (tiller with the extensions).. Actually they were frightening.

Anyway, the 720 has been behaving well, but 2000 rpm tillers don't show up very often. I do have a friend close by with a big tractor and tiller for the garden, but I keep wondering if anyone's ever adapted a larger frame tiller to run off the rear pto on a powermax/tiller. Either off the PTO or via a hydraulic motor to run the tiller? Just day dreaming really as it's actually been below freezing for a few days here - anyone have a rear log splitter on their 720/powermax?

Rick

(Hope someone enjoyed last week's CL deal, 4040 with danco loader for $600 - sometimes you have to pass the good luck onto someone else. )

Unless your using the HD tiller from a large frame tractor you'll likely be wasting your time. The powermax tillers are WAY heavier than the smaller counterparts and would self destruct under the power put into them by the 2000 rpm pto.

If you can't find a 2000 RPM tiller your next best choice is a Sears Tiller with its own engine.You'll have to convert the Sears 3pt to

Cat 0 3pt to put it on the 720.I've done a couple and it works pretty well

quote:Originally posted by rickf

So,Oregon, clay soils, wet, always made for exciting rides tilling with my b112 (tiller with the extensions).. Actually they were frightening.

id="quote">
id="quote">Why?? Are you trying to use down pressure or letting it lock in the down position?Both are no no's with a tiller. Otherwise, I've tilled things as hard as gravel driveways. A lot of bouncing, but no wild rides.Repeated tillings, and slowing your ground speed to let the tiller dig itself deeper are keys.

A little off topic but has anybody converted a standard Simplicity tiller to a reverse rotation tiller? A reverse rotation tiller is very nice to operate. It digs itself deeper and does a nicer job of tilling IMO.

Ken

Thanks guys, I sort of thought the pto option might be a bit much, but didn't know if there was a belt linkage to gear things down, how it'd go. Has anyone worked with a Hydraulic motor? any idea what sort of RPM/HP you'd get out of one if you just plugged it into the hydraulic lines? Or using the backhoe pump... Never worked with one.

As for the B112 & tilling. Yeah, the first couple goes I had the hydro lift pushing down, and did several passes, but it was locked. Okay until the tractor front end happened to go up and dig the tiller in. Thought floating would go better, I'd raise it up and let it float down, but it seemed actually worse. The tines seemed to dig in and pull it down and propel me forward... wheelies and worried about trashing the bevel gear box... Maybe it's just a combination of wet clay soils (Oregon spring, lucky if you can find a suitable tilling time before June) and having the extensions on the tiller...

At any rate, for the cost of purchasing a Christmas tree across the fenceline, having the neighbor till the garden with a big tractor seems like the best option, no hurry. Someday a reasonable 2000 rpm tiller might show up.

Sounds like a good option.

quote:Originally posted by acfarmer

If you can't find a 2000 RPM tiller your next best choice is a Sears Tiller with its own engine.You'll have to convert the Sears 3pt to Cat 0 3pt to put it on the 720.I've done a couple and it works pretty well

id="quote">
id="quote">