Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
littlemarv

Early B-10 paint

littlemarv

I found a few pictures on Simpletractors of early B-10s. As far as paint scheme goes,

The starter generator and mount bracket, air cleaner, and mid PTO are black.

The wheels, steering wheel, and dash are white.

Eveything else is yellow.

Correct?

superbman101

Yes it's painted exactly like the Big Ten. The Late b-10's and B-12's have black engines and transmissions.On my Big Ten engine I painted the Heat fins on the block with Gloss Black Engine paint (heat resistant) and painted the rest yellow. If your going to be running it the allis yellow will flake off the head and block due to heat. Just what i've seen

DSC_0158.jpg

New.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg.e326c207102e845ebf30817760e5b28e.jpg

New.jpg.fe9e4deb94e64be930ffaa919ea14e29.jpg

littlemarv

Boy does that engine look sharp.

I found that picture as well on Simpletractors. I printed that one and several others. The only problem is all the variables- computer screen, scanner, printer, ink, etc. All affect the shade. So, I think I am going to try the paint code I found at Wells Implement.

I found some nice paint on the inside of the side plates but it is kind of thin so I am not sure if I should use it for color matching....

Thanks guys.

superbman101

Hands down I agree with you Wayne. Chrome is the best look. It's up to the owner how original they want to be.This is the chrome one that's going in my B-12. Waiting on the last shroud decal to come in (16hp I/C) sm06

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg.dc250bc84f17514b28aa2f83f49e5502.jpg

RandyBuxton

Curious about painting an engine. I am getting ready to paint my B10 and the engine. Do you have to take the engine apart in any way to paint it? Or, mask some parts of it off? Sandblast it first?Please share the process.Thanks(also, how 'bout the BGB, transmission part of it?)

quote:Originally posted by superbman101

Hands down I agree with you Wayne. Chrome is the best look. It's up to the owner how original they want to be.This is the chrome one that's going in my B-12. Waiting on the last shroud decal to come in (16hp I/C) sm06

IMG_0536.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">

superbman101

Hello Randy! I personally remove the engine. Degrease, sand away rust / uneven spots, paint remover, and make sure all gaskets are good. When painting the engine I always have the shroud off but you need to tape off the magnet on the flywheel and the 2 arms in the ignition coil.

As far as the bgb and back (tranny) if its a big ten or early b10 everything is all yellow otherwise black.

RandyBuxton

I paid a visit to my local PPG paint shop. Looking at the Omni AU line. I will paint my B10, plow, tiller, and possibly a wagon. I got a quote for one gallon of epoxy primer, one gallon of yellow paint ($212), a couple quarts of reducer, one gallon of clear coat. Might have been one more thing... catalyst? Tallied up to $600 and change.

I believe this to be some good stuff from what I've read. My question is 1) Is this a proper amount of primer, paint, and clear coat for the pieces I've listed? and 2) Is the price reasonable when compared to lesser priced/quality material (a matter of opinion, of course)

Thanks

RayS
quote:Originally posted by RandyBuxton

I paid a visit to my local PPG paint shop. Looking at the Omni AU line. I will paint my B10, plow, tiller, and possibly a wagon. I got a quote for one gallon of epoxy primer, one gallon of yellow paint ($212), a couple quarts of reducer, one gallon of clear coat. Might have been one more thing... catalyst? Tallied up to $600 and change. I believe this to be some good stuff from what I've read. My question is 1) Is this a proper amount of primer, paint, and clear coat for the pieces I've listed? and 2) Is the price reasonable when compared to lesser priced/quality material (a matter of opinion, of course)Thankswhat is the omni paint code number?

id="quote">
id="quote">what is the omni paint code number?

RandyBuxton

I don't know the paint code number. I did not get a written quote. I'll call 'em later and get the info. What will the paint code tell us? I did watch how the paint color is determined with the prophet (a camera-like device) and the computer software. There were five colors to be mixed at different ratios to get the yellow that was mafched from the underside of one of the metal panels.