Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1959 wonderboy 700 Coil Replacement.

fishnwiz

Hello all,

Ok, this is the story, I have a few questions on what to look for on these 1st series tractors. I have always liked the look and lines on these tractors but know little to nothing about them. The tractor in question is a non running tractor (but supposedly ran last year) so right of way I cannot check the engine for run quality and I also cannot give the BGB a run for its money so I will have to take the previous owner at his word on that also.. I have never been a fan of buying a non running tractor and having to take the PO word on condition as I have been burned before.

I respect any and all feedback, good or bad regarding this particular series tractor.Anything special or impossible to find or fix that I should be looking at?

FYI.. This is a front engine model 700 and not the rear engine tractor.

Thanks, much, Mark

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fishnwiz

• eugenedrago

• Talntedmrgreen

• MysTiK

I have few here and do like the machines a lot.You can check the bgb by turning the pulley back and forth, you will see how much play there is by doing this(some times the front yoke is loose) Expect to put a new coil in the engine if it is not new of late. The front axles (where the wheels ride) are often worn out. Some times the differential pins are broke or almost. Parts are hard to find for the engine so if you have a bad rod you can run into problems there. Good luck with your tractor if you get it.Bob

Thanks for the pointers. The engine is a replacement that is same model but a few years earlier. The sale does come with the complete original motor.I love to keep these older tractors original in appearance as possible...just my thing.What is entailed in diff. pin replacement or repair...This is not a major issue to replace these, is it?

Thanks again.

If your talking about the 700 on craiglist.I know it did run at one time but when he loaded it and brought it to a show last fall he lost spark in it,kid has to much stuff and just needs to get rid of stuff.

Thanks...He did tell me the same story. Also PO told me he bought it from someone on this site? Anyone with ANY info who can add to the history of this tractor would be a giant help to me. I am ok with paying a fair price on any nice old tractor...I just do NOT need another parts tractor at this time and do not have the cash to dump a bunch of money into major resto project.

Thanks again, Mark

Mark, my guess is there's a broken wire to the coil, or it iteslf went bad. Those have a history of going out, and they are big bucks (if you can find one) to replace. I use a $12 12V automotive coil instead and they work great.

Never know, could just be something simple like a plug wire, points, etc. They are neat old tractors, and that one looks real nice and straight.

I met with the owner {Mark} of this 1959 700 tractor today.... Great guy and real nice with a lot of knowledge about engines for a young guy. He is a member of the club but I do not remember his forum name. Tractor has a lot going for it but does need some pitman arm repair. The BGB is tight and and axles seems good as is mid PTO, otherwise everything else checks out pretty good other than the no run issue. Will be thinking on it the next day or two and will keep you posted on my decision. Thanks again for all of the help and tips!!

He goes by "MarksAC." If that tractor was closer I'd have probably considered it. I'm thinking the model 19 coils are readily available and fairly inexpensive.

Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COIL-fit-BRIGGS-STRATTON-Models-9-14-19-22-23-23A-B-F-R-/380540854463?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589a00a0bf

Its the 19D coils (three leg) that are no longer available.

I'd have to double check the parts book to make sure its the right one. Contact RayS (club pres) he can email you the manuals for the model 19 engine.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

He goes by "MarksAC." If that tractor was closer I'd have probably considered it.

id="quote">
id="quote">Where there's a will, there's a way, Chris. If Mark's deal falls through, then the tractor could find it's way to an ice cream social in July.:D:D, or a pizza restaurant in February, if your willing to make the drive.

Well, thanks to all for your input on this tractor. Mark and myself came to terms on this wonderful old tractor and needless to say, its park in my driveway as I type. This tractor came with a deck ,very good extra set of rear tires and a semi complete spare engine! I know what you all want so here you go...

IMG_0001_62.jpg

IMG_0001_61.jpg

IMG_0001_60.jpg

Thanks AGAIN to MarksA-C for making my next project possible!And per Mystiks request;)

IMG_0001_63.jpg

IMG_0001_62.jpg.617bde5930f64d802a6543b2b27c8bb8.jpg

IMG_0001_61.jpg.433b402620856634b83f65da0abc5d5f.jpg

IMG_0001_60.jpg.3f19fb99c4cd7734263e64ff7f354a05.jpg

IMG_0001_63.jpg.95a3e33a5c5ddab39adf29f65693ee90.jpg

That motor inside it came from me. It came from a VB walk behind. It runs great, has plenty of power, and seemed to have very little hours.

I heard that Mark had some ignition issues with it after it sat for a while. My first suggestion would be to replace the ignition condenser and run a bill though the points contacts or replace them also. If you need any parts for the motor, I have a few spares taken apart.

Have fun!

Dan (Watertown, WI)

Thanks Dan! Mark did mention you as the guy to see if I needed parts. Glad to hear the engine is good and I will be sure to heed your suggestions regarding the motor. The orig spare engine did not look to have many hrs on it either. Thanks again Dan!

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

Its the 19D coils (three leg) that are no longer available.

id="quote">
id="quote">You're right...My trouble was with a 23D.

Unfortunately I was not lucky enough for the no start symptom to be something easy. I tried new condensor and cleaned the points and all I get is a very weak flicker on the test light. Looks like I will be doing the coil replacement next! Oh well, that will have to wait until the cold snap that is coming thru tonite is gone. Its cold on the ground in the driveway in the elementssm02

Really glad to see this one go to another club member! Like Chris, if only closer & my storage bigger... Good luck and congrats. I'll be watching

Gene

quote:Originally posted by bowhunt4life

Love the cyclops look!

id="quote">
id="quote">bowhunt4life - you stole the words right out of my mind...great minds think alike, they say.

Mark, if that's a model 19 engine (not to be confused with a 19D) the link Chris sent you would be the proper coil. I purchased the very same one on eBay and its been good so far. Hope this helps. Congrats on your new purchase!