Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How strong are Simplicity trans

baerpath

Okay I have another 7790 parts tractor. Real ruff shape so I thought I might try a different brand for pulling. I'm running WH's now, my main one is a 20hp sport stock. Lots of engine mods and running 26x 12 cut tires.

My question is will a Simplicity standard trans hold upto the diesel for pulling a 7000lb transfer sled. And are Simplicity trans all the same or like the WH one with the 8 pinion being nearly bullet proof to 30hp ?

Duane

The transmission are all the same will hold up with no issues. The issue is the tube axle and differential. In good shape and put together with no keyway slop the its all good for about 40hp. We pulled for many years with a good friend with a 7790. We have 718 and a 920 gas. We had all 3 tractors set up same, except we had the battery for the diesel under the seat to move some weight to the back to offset the heavy diesel engine.My guess he had the diesel pushing 30hp maybe more. It had some work done to it and he had the pump turned up. Pulled the tractor for many years and the transaxle held up after hatching a couple of diffs. Took the springs out of the diff, and the spacer washer and never loss a diff after that.This tractor was only beaten a few times, and every time it was the 920 gas.If you put a 7790 together for pulling, I think you will find the Simplicity very competitive, and we never had the one wheel wonder syndrome like I've seen on many Wheel Horses and Cubs.

IvanDiesel.jpg

IvanDiesel.jpg.101d59fd503b75fca58bbd9f074fa45c.jpg

quote "hey duane, about time you step over to the orange"

We'll see Perry

I have a 725 roller that I was thinking of using as a donor for the tranny. Good choice or should I look for a different one?

I have been told I'd need to go with a cub but that ain't gonna happen !

I bought a bunch of parts from a retired pulling guy that ran simplicity's way back in the day. he put straight axles in his transmissions. he said they were tough tractors just could not get passed the drive belt slipping. but that was a long time ago and technology and tractor pulling has come along way. I'm sure the pullers here on the club will get you passed the Do's and dont's on theses tractors.

I know you have some nice wheel horse pullers. post some pics/videos here sm01

The 725's have smaller axle tubes than the Landlords, Sovereigns, Allis of the years to follow 1964+ .

And hands down leave cubs in the dust!

My son put some video's up on youtube under mootpulling

I have a couple others, but think the Simp should be a learning experiance like going to the WH's was from cub

So Superbman are you suggesting looking for a different rear?

And Perry do you have any of the parts leftfor the rear?

I'm not saying that the 725 rear can't take the force but I use the larger one (off of a B110) for Asphalt pulls.

Record is 525% calculated weight

Tractor weighed 800lbs and managed to pull 4,000 pounds. dOd

These tractors can take the punishment without needing beefed up. BUT a huge must is the bevel gear box you don't want any play (Slop)!

So theres a 7010 for sale on here. Would that be a stronger rear ? I have to see a friend who's brother is a dealer and want to know what I'm looking for

As I said in another post, I pulled for over 20 years, and the only rear that we ever used for our stock tractor(in the 700 and later in an AC716 chassis, with three different engines), with up to 20 Hp, was from a 1961 Simplicity 700. By the way, I ran an axle in that rear from an AC716H, so I know that they are the exact same size and will interchange. As far as the tubes, don't know. Never broken an axle tube in any of my tractors, pulling or working.