Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

And you thought gasahol was a recent thing!!

B10Dave

COOl Pic...Hate the corn fuel myself and if and when they raise it to 15% corn we are all in for a big pain with dealing with it. No offence to the corn growers on this site. JMO Wiz

omg - the world was such a gullible mess in those days.

no wonder ....

what? mid to late 40's? or late 30's? gotta be 40's.

nice cars. anybody know them?

I was thinking Packard. suicide doors.

Great pix.

A while back I had picked up some older Hot Rod magazines at an estate sale. The newest ones were from the late 1970's to early 1980's. It was funny (kind of) to read about the "gasohol" problems being encounted at that time when the 10% really became the norm. It's like we keep letting the same bad things happen to us over and over. This 15% ethanol stuff is going to royally mess up a lot of engines and fuel systems. I just read a report that AAA did a survey and something over 90% of the participants didn't know anything about gas with 15% ethanol in it or what it's negative effects were. EPA isn't worried about people mis-fueling cars and equipment. I guess the EPA gives the general public way too much credit for understanding fuels. Sorry, Tim

I cannot believe the marine and small engine industry is not going ballistic? They should be all over this issue full force. Putting a sticker on the pump and making the public responsible just is not going to cut it. Talk about political B.S., this is it at its finest! Its a scientific fact that there is no added benefit whatsoever and that it takes more energy to produce Ethanol then the final product produces itself.

The world has a much greater need for corn as a food source then for energy IMO.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

Look like very early 1930's autos.

id="quote">
id="quote">I was struggling with 'prewar' or 'postwar'.And now I'm wondering if that's a Rolls.When was the Great Depression - wasn't that the 'dirty 30's'?I dunno. But I thought, if no money, then what's with the fancy rig?so I settled on postwar 40's.Then there was that old TV show. The Untouchables. dOdthey had cars like this, most of them had machine guns hanging out the sides. 8)What's with the ethanol? Is it ALL going to 15%??That's like ALL STUPID.I don't watch the news lately. Nice to know that our better interests are being well represented. I wonder if Canada is going ALL STUPID too. omg that means I have to endure the bs news. I wonder which lame group of do-gooders is at it now? People actually believe that bunk. Those people are all on glue. :D:D:D:D I find life is very peaceful when I don't know anything.

Originally posted by MysTiK
quote:
id="quote">They're probably just Chevy's or Fords. Most of the cars in those days looked like that. The photo was likely taken for a publication or some sort of promotion and the men at the pumps are likely involved in the ethanol business or are area businessmen. (just speculation)

Check the 4-11-33 on the picture in white. Probably the date, so cars that year or older. Fewer sales in the depression and cars were kept as long as possible. Note the older car by the garage, maybe a model A Ford?

It's a Cadillac. circa 1929-30. Or very near there.Can't nail it exactly - but there are some pix on these links that are very near match to the photo. Also some other amazing pix, etc. etc. Lots of history on Cad's from the beginnings in 1903 forward to 1959. I think the gas station attendant is using the gas filler hidden in left rear taillight. Some pix show that too.http://myautoworld.com/gm/history/cadillac/cadillac-1/cadillac-1.htmlhttp://myautoworld.com/gm/history/cadillac/cadillac-2/cadillac-2.html

1929_Cadillac_Series_341_B_Sedan.jpg

a_1930-1v16.gif