Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Are all Starter/Generators created equal ?

fishnwiz

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Just curious if all of the late 50's and early to mid 60's simplicity Start/Gen are pretty much interchangeable?

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes they are all nominal 12 V 15 A, totally enclosed even into the 70's. They came in two frame lengths. I used, for years, the shorter length unit from the Broadmoor to 10 HP Landlord. The only basic differece other then rotation, was the CE frame where they went from bronze bushing to ball bearing. All the Simplicity/AC units are clockwise.

...and how do these relate, if at all, to the starter/generator on the 16hp briggs? The 7016h I just bought in September ate it's S/G just before new years... It had been giving us some trouble, like using a _lot_ of current to start, even when jump started from the wife's honda, caused enough load to squeak the alternator belt on the Honda, so I knew something was up... Then my son parked it and just then the S/G started making a horrible racket...

After disassembly, it turns out the armature had worn through the bushing in the end-cap and started eating away at the aluminum at which point it started to trash the field windings which was ultimately the source of the noise... The contacts also look fairly trashed...

My starter/alternator guy says it needs a whole new starter/generator... The field windings are trashed, the end cap is possibly salvageable but some of the wires on the armature have melted and the end of the armature is fairly scored... He has some parts so he's going to see if he can put something together but a new one is $300. He says most of his parts or for a newer version of this S/G that has bearings instead of bushings...

I tried searching the model number as found on the S/G (A Delco/Remy number that I can't remember right now) and didn't find any hits online... Was hoping to find something used just in case this guy can't put something together for me... He's been 'my guy' for going on 20 years and has always done good by me so I will support him if possible, but even he points understands the irony of a $300 S/G for a $1000 tractor...

(sorry for hijacking this thread)...

No worries about hijacking my thread. If we can get an answer to your questions regarding your issues, what does it matter?

If these are in fact the same...I may have an extra S/G in working order. Lets see what the experts say on this site.

The only slight variation I saw was oil caps. I think it was a early B-1 I bought that had spring top oil caps on both shaft ends. If you look at the newer versions you can see the casting releifs for the caps.

Dan

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the Delco starter-generators used on old Kohler-powered Cub Cadets turn the opposite direction of those used on these Briggs-powered machines...

I could be having a CRS moment, but I think I recall hearing/reading that. I've never owned a Cub tractor.

That's what I thought. The original question was about Simplicity specifically, but the title said "all". Just wanted to make sure that someone looking for info in the future didn't get confused and pick up a Cub one, thinking it would directly replace a Simplicity one...

Well, my alternator/starter guy came through for me. He built another S/G for me with new field windings, new bearings, good used stator, endcap... $187.. Installed it today and all is well...

quote:Originally posted by MDB

I ordered two starter generators from fleet.http://www.fleetalternatorstarter.com/starter_generator_60104.aspxAlso ordered two regulators, I received a phone call from Fleet the following day stating that they are no longer available.Does anyone have another source for the regulators?

id="quote">
id="quote">Mike, here is the rectangle type. http://www.rareelectrical.com/p-15400-new-voltage-regulator-for-starter-generator-cub-cadet-simplicity-tractor-d656.aspxhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-STARTER-GENERATOR-CUB-CADET-SIMPLICITY-TRACTOR-D656-/271084825263?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D5159998570568331452%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D271084825263%26

BLT,

I have not purchased a regulator in some time. 52.00 does not seem to be to inexpensive.I am a little more than surprised they run in the 50-80 dollar range. Is that the norm?

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

BLT,I have not purchased a regulator in some time. 52.00 does not seem to be to inexpensive.I am a little more than surprised they run in the 50-80 dollar range. Is that the norm?

id="quote">
id="quote">Three to four years ago, you could purchase them $18-$35. then my supplier got the new quote. It's the muffer story all over again, low demand.

It does get a little old having a gun held to our heads over the prices of these old parts.Now I see why people stockpile spare parts.