Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Here we go again.

RUMBLEFISH

Well I want to rebuild a carb for a 12hp briggs I am in the process of going thru. This carb was off another machine and someone had been in it in the past (ie) blue gasket maker. Anyway I go to unscrew the carb nozzel with a flat head screwdriver and it was already stripped.:( its #113 on jacks web site.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/help.cfm#/Briggs_%26_Stratton/300421-0120-99/Carb%2cFuelTank%2cA%2f%2fC%2cBlowerHsg/300421012099/5611003AB

Could someone tell me a tirck that worked or how I can safely take this thing out without damage to the body?

Try a local carb shop is my best suggestion.

My other method are radical and have worked only 1/2 of the attempts. I used an easy out and boiled the carb in hot water before I attempted to remove the jet but extreme caution must be used to not damage the threads in the carb itself.Because of the brass, it is hard to get a good bite with the easy out so go slow.

I also have heard of some success with a reverse drill bit but have never tried it myself. Best of luck.

If you put a little valve grinding compound on the tip of the screwdriver and work the screwdriver into the slot good can help. The compound gives the bit an extra bite. Of course, you will need to cleanup all traces of the compound.

I have gone to the extream a few times. I take it to work and set them up in a milling machine and drill it out with a small drill and keep going larger untill I get most of the piece out . Then take the special tap and clean it up.Takes a bit of time but it does work. They pay me ok to do my work from home at work.

Your only choice may be to drill it out.

Briggs sells a tap kit #19245 for around 11.00 with both taps for the small and medium flojets.

Use a 9/32 drill carefully on your medium flojet. It will drill most of brass out and leave the threads before it gets near the nozzle seat. Then you push out the nozzle and clean the threads, works slick. This will not hurt the seat inside the carb, the tapered part on the nozzle pipe. You need a 5/16 x 32 tap to get the thread remanants out.

UPDATED ... I messed up big time ... the drill size is 9/32 not 9/16

Gary

quote:Originally posted by ka9bxg

I have gone to the extream a few times. I take it to work and set them up in a milling machine and drill it out with a small drill and keep going larger untill I get most of the piece out . Then take the special tap and clean it up.Takes a bit of time but it does work. They pay me ok to do my work from home at work.

id="quote">
id="quote">I thought Briggs sold a special screwdriver to remove the emulsion tube.I like Bob's idea best, nothing like hobby time during work time LOL!