Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire Chain Walking

Architectdave

I am having an issue with one of my tire chians walkinh off the tire. Ive tried bungee chords etc but it still doesn't want to stay on. The other chain is perfect no issue. Both are amatch set I bought 2 years ago and its jsut this year its happening. Air pressure is right and they both fit well.

quote:Originally posted by simple_stan

I would try putting it on the opposite way.

id="quote">
id="quote">that may work . try and tighten it up better on tire. maybe put a spring/bungee or two on the backside to help stay on.

A trick I've used also is to deflate the tire on the tractor while jacked up, install the chains as tight as I can get them, then reinflate the tire. Finally, put the bungees on...

quote:Originally posted by Kent

A trick I've used also is to deflate the tire on the tractor while jacked up, install the chains as tight as I can get them, then reinflate the tire. Finally, put the bungees on...

id="quote">
id="quote">I would add, that after you get the chains as tight as you think you can get them, take one more link out, you can do it!I never use bungee's, my chains never walk or fall off. John U

Kents method has worked without ever a disappointment for me. Figured that out the first year I had these machines as bungee cords loose their bounce much below zero.

With AG tires, I have never used chains.

With turf tires, I have always had better luck using wire instead of a bungee. I use two pieces in a cross configuration to to pull the chain tight. Never had one to come off when configured this way.

I have had chains come off when using bungee cords.

I guess I'm very lucky. I throw the chains on and bungee them up and away I go. Never had a chain come off.....yet:D I am running the "two link" chains(a cross bar every two links). I don't know if that makes a difference or not?????

Have used chains on both the 5200 and 6200 tractors with blowers for like 24 years. Two link cross chains, and worked at making them tight. On the current winter worker, 6200, chains were a bit large for tires, but worked extra out and used cross springs to hold. 2+ years and have not come off. Hope it stays this way....sm01

Check the tire pressure on the side that falls off. You may just need some air to keep the chains on. I use the above mentioned tricks...deflate a bit, put the chains on, inflate a little, try for one more link, bungee, then check tire pressure one more time. This came after the chains fell off about 10 times the first year I had the tractor. It's a patience thing too, which I'm getting better at. I don't "throw the chains on" anymore. I install the chains in a safe and reliable manner. :D

Thanks guys, I will try taking out a link and defalting the tire prior to installation. I have the Two link chains as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a link out of the chain and its much tighter, it also stayed in place last night when I did the 3 inches in the drive.... thank you guys all again for your suggestions and help. I appreciate all of you.

I gree with Ken deflating the tire and tightening the chain and reinflating works great! I also use metal clips as a backup to the hook link.

Moleman