Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Price for 1969 3112v

Cyclone

I've been on the hunt for some classic Simplicity iron and a Craigslist ad came up in my area.

Here are the details. Tell me what you would do/pay.

1969 3112v Manual lift NO IMPLIMENTS not even a mower deck.

Leaking gas tank (tank removed and a plastic tank rigged to the front of the tractor)

Non standard rectangular lights were installed (badly)

Currently doesn't run/run well. Owner says he thinks the carb is pulling air. When pressed he said he could get it to run in about an hour but the carb is still questionable.

The tractor was repainted with "proper" simplicity colors according to the owner but from pictures it doesn't look like a great job. The front grill is a little bent up and held on with what looks like zip ties.

Wheels repainted and the tires have very little wear. (front 2 are new)

The guy is asking $500. I told him the tractor is only worth $250-300 as it is to me. (hoping for him to counter offer but he didn't) also still sort of holding out for a landlord.

So what do you guys think? Think it's worth it? Old Simplicities don't come up for sale often around my area North New Jersey. I can't post pics yet but have 2 if anyone want to see. Was waiting to finally get a tractor first, Just have a 4211 mower now.

quote:Originally posted by Cyclone

Old Simplicities don't come up for sale often around my area North New Jersey.

id="quote">
id="quote">There's the problem...can't really tell you what it's worth. Around here, it would have a hard time selling for more than $250. For $500 here, it would have to be a hydro, with hydrolift...and in good shape, running great.You may ahve to decide what it's worth :I

IMO...For what its worth...200 or less with the issues and work it needs. Unless there was some super special features on the tractor AND it had extras with it I myself would want it for 150-175 range, but then I live in the heart of Simplicityville.Best of luck with your decision.

I personally would not pay what he's asking, or anywhere near it with the issues/lack of attachments, etc.

I understand that you're tempted to buy this tractor because older Simplicities don't come up for sale often in your neck of the woods. But, doesn't that mean that it'll be equally hard for you to find attachments for this tractor? So, you may end up overpaying for a tractor that needs a lot of repairs, putting a lot of time and $ into it to get it running properly, and then still not being able to find attachments unless you're willing to travel or pay shipping costs.

Were it me, I would expand my search area a couple hundred miles, then wait patiently for a decent looking machine with some attachments. IMO, making a road trip is worth it to get a good tractor, rather than buying something not-so-good locally.

quote:Originally posted by huffy

, making a road trip is worth it to get a good tractor, rather than buying something not-so-good locally.

id="quote">
id="quote">Great point...use some of that $$ for gas, and go grab a nice one. I like a day on the road chasing down a good runner.

If you were interested in making a road trip up this way, I have 2 sovereigns for sale. For a little more than $500 I can set you up with this,

IMG_2445a.jpg

It will come with a rebuilt deck (new bearings). Used it all summer for mowing, not being used right now, I also have a hydro lift 3012 for sale as well. I have more photos, PM or e-mail me.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/classDetail.asp?id=20249FWIW I'm about 3.5 hours from NYC.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.

I think I'm going to pass on this tractor. As Huffy said even if I got it I would need to hunt down attachments as well.

ReedS, I saw your add in the classifieds and as interested as I am I don't know if I'll be able to get out that way for at least a month maybe more. If my schedule opens up and the tractor is still available I'll PM you.

There are more and more sellers with "wreckage" for sale - but they heard these tractors are good somehow somewhere - so they think they have something of great value.

And they do - but the real dollar value involves a tractor that's running, reliable, useable.

I also look at a concept kinda like "bubble gum" on the outside, means "bubble gum" on the inside. Tough call that. If you know what's likely involved in the maintenance and repairs area, you can check some items on a non-runner. There's other stuff you can't check.

I would walk away.

I would keep looking in your area AND beyond. These tractors are out there; it's just not the right time yet, for you to purchase. Don't push the river. Your tractor is on it's way when the time is right.

I bought a runner w a broken deck for 250. Keeper = 1979 716H.

I bought a no-engine complete parts tractor, with lots of attachments for 250. This one fed the other one. And was finally completely consumed. It saved me a lot of hassle.

= In BOTH cases, these traxtors were mine before I bought them - the magic just happened - it was not anything I controlled.

I think you are looking at a good parts tractor - 150 max.

Keep researching for the one you really want. REALLY WANT.sm01