Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Removing Front PTO Clutch Allis 620 w/CCKB

BrianSavulis

Can any one give me pointers on removing the front PTO clutch on my Allis 620 w/Onan CCKB. I have the center bolt out, but it wont slide off. I am nervous about putting a puller on it.

Thanks

Brian

With the battery out, it should not be so a need for a puller. If you need a puller it should not cause any damage. If you do us a puller the pulley should be taken off the bearing carrier. Then a puller should be easy to gain safe access. The outer pulley and bearing carrier/receiver charge plate is not keyed, in general the pulley should be able to spin on the shaft (to get it broke loose only). The only time it is locked is when the clutch is power with 12v. (it is not intended to slip when not in use). The pulley/outer bearing and air-gap spacer should after cleaning and re-assembling should go back on with light tapping. The pulley has a thin spacer (air gape) between the bearing and the shaft. One should be able to slide off with light taping on the back side of the pulley with a soft hammer (brass or wooden mallet or drift).

The next part of the clutch charging plate that is keyed. This plate has the timing marks on it. it can be more difficulty but with plenty of penetrating oil the shaft should not be rusted to the point of fear of breaking things. Clean the shaft well after you get the pulley off is a good idea. The charger plate should start to move with hopefully a little more force that the outer pulley. (Unless the tractor has setting without a hood for a long period. With these 2 parts off you will see 4 small bolts the hold the charger 12v coil. This will be the easiest part. When addressing the notched keyed charging plate you need to see where to tap or pull from the plate with timing makes. This plate fits very close to the sold stationary part of the oil. Do not pound on the back of the coil.(its bolted on) but the keyed plate needs to be motivated to move from this thin gap between the coil and charger plate.