Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Late Model Sovereign

ac.d17iv

I know there are a lot of factors, but what should a person expect to pay on average for a late model Sovereign or Agco Allis 918 with the Kohler Command and mower deck, both with and without power steering?

Based on what I have seen when trying to find a power steering unit, you can find the prices all over the place. Someone can put a little wax on them and think they are worth a ton of money. A unit with power steering will cost between 5-600 more to buy. The unit referenced is a sharp looking unit but does not have power steering. My feeling is that its priced high without power steering.

Good luck.

That linked tractor looks amazing. Even the deck looks new. Low hours too, looks fair to me. What can you buy for that price these days?

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

That linked tractor looks amazing. Even the deck looks new. Low hours too, looks fair to me. What can you buy for that price these days?

id="quote">
id="quote">A nice high end MTD that will last 5 or 6 years. It is super clean and appears to be well taken care of. You couldn`t get it from a dealer for that price.

i got 3 good buys a month ago one is a sovereign with powersteering blown triad engine and mower deck beautiful condition for 500.00, second is a sovereign non p/s with a command engine deck and tiller for 800.00, third is a sovereign non p/s with a 20 hp honda engine that dosent run and no deck great shape for 500.00 there are good buys out there

IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3065.JPG

IMG_3054.JPG.5900c2f052d495585d9ee5bb18f98dc6.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG.0697f1c14cbe6e133572fe8b51e19671.JPG

IMG_3065.JPG.76d6f869327ca2d776a5478c7c02bf3a.JPG

I have advertised for a year now and only found 1 Sovereign with power steering. Of course the engine was blown and the owner dropped it off his trailer going down the road at 50 MPH. Oh, and he wanted $800. Kind of had to pass that one upXX(XX(XX(.

There are a lot of tractor factors - maybe a zillion. Every tractor is different. Every deal is different. What it comes with, it's condition, running, or not.

There are also a lot of human factors. Mechanical ability, tools, experience, willingness to get all dirty. The money scene. Personal desire for type, options, attachments, image. Plans for immediate or long range usage.

Yukon's approach is interesting. He's got 3; and a lot of options potentially available, depending on his approach - it depends, it's personal.

My approach when I bought my tractor, and it would likely be a similar approach if I wanted a newer Sovy - I already have an idea of costs. I would scan ads to narrow that down and sharpen my focus, and then wait - pretty much like stalking prey.

In my case, I need to consider my limitations re mechanical, or lack of direct experience pulling engines, repowers, etc. With tools and experience the picture is different again. But overall, it's personal, all of it, all these factors. It helps me to take it out of the idea stage and bring it into the reality stage. What are my personal needs, wants, capabilites, other resources, etc. etc. (?) A lot of that might be obvious; and some of it might not be so clear. And so, putting the idea on paper, with immense details, would be a good exercise to sharpen the focus further - and that will make it real and personal.

Another thing - in this market, I don't think there's a bad deal really /barring the obvious. The comparison to the bigbox crapola socalled 'garden tractors' that pretend to mimic these is quite valid. And cost for a quality new one can break 10K easy. That's a lot of headroom for things unexpected; which is really just another 'factor'.

just my view. it's personal. or it will be. sm01

Great thoughts Graham ! Especially the stalking prey reference.

I just bought a "new" truck. I had a choice of 09s w/27K or a 10 w/50K. Most people wouldn't get the higher mileage one but in my case, as I will not hit 100K for at least 9 years, I went for the newer one. All 4WD xtra cab reg box 1500 Silverados. I wanted the 1 year less exposure to the elements and little better resale value for near the same price.

Gave $200 for this, bad engine (or so they said) and no power steering. Very nice tractor. The bad engine seems to have had a mouse invasion. There were carcasses and chewed coil wires, so it may be OK after I get it cleaned-up and some new gaskets on it. In the mean time, I had gone thru another CH18 and stuck it in. Runs, mows and plows snow great. Have a few other attachments for like, 1 bottom plow, 2 different discs, cultivator, rototiller and a vac. Love it love it!

newsovy.jpg

In my neck of the woods prices are very high IMHO for Sovereign tractors - especially as compared to Cub Cadets or Wheelhorse tractors. I don't know if it's supply and demand (not as many Simplicity tractors around IMHO) or both.

Interesting topic.

Thanks!

Bil

Thanks for all the great feedback. They don't come up for sale very often in my part of the country either, but I'm going to keep an eye out!