Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

... finally 'Normal Michigan Winter'...

Talntedmrgreen

Everyone seems to have felt the coldsnap, and I know there are a few folks within the Great Lakes' lake effect snowbelts...but noone has been sharing their seat time!

I'm going to make an effort to try. We've seen a foot since Sunday. It's been a slow, steady snow for 3 days. The roads are 3" of hardpack, and my piles are growing. I push each evening, and finally brough the blower out to play a bit too, and throw the banks back.

I'm in the bullseye...'normal' West MI weather. Drive 20 miles east, and it's a bright sunny day with no snow.

lakeeffect.jpg

A good 13+" or so on the back deck.

20130123_184949.jpg

I plowed and ran the blower around 5pm. 4-5 more inches since. Tough to tell with all the white, but they say another 4-5 tonite. Will work on some better pics in the morning. You can barely see the mailbox out under the street light. Has about a foot on top, and a foot or better at the base. It's slowly vanishing....

20130123_201555.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talntedmrgreen

• fishnwiz

• huffy

• Tonyvdb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plowing/blowing pics????

Been real cold here, and a lot of flurries for the past few days, but not a whole lot of accumulation. Supposed to get 5" or so tonight, but we'll see.

I don't mind the single digit or below temps without much snow. Seat time in my ice fishing shanty is just as fun as seat time on my tractors. And smelt be yummy.

How do you smelt fish thru ice? Curious. On western side by me it was always 4' X 4' dip nets when the spanning run was on , filled many of five gallon bucket in a single sitting.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

How do you smelt fish thru ice? Curious. On western side by me it was always 4' X 4' dip nets when the spanning run was on , filled many of five gallon bucket in a single sitting.

id="quote">
id="quote">Just use a rod with a Sabiki rig on it. A Sabiki rig's just a length of line with ten hooks attached via approx 2" leaders. Put a Hali jig at the bottom for weight. Funny you asked, because I actually just got done tying some up. I'll post a pic later if I remember. In a permanent shanty I just use a bicycle wheel with a line with several hooks on it. Can reel them in faster that way.There's no dipping allowed by me. Too many people dipped pickup truck loads of them back in the 70's and 80's and decimated the population. Can only line catch them now, and there's a per man limit of a 2 gallon bucket full.

I'm waiting for daylight, to allow pics. We didn't get much more than last nite's 4-5", an it's 6 below, so I won't have any volunteers for taking action shots or video outside. I'm kinda the other way...without snow, I do not delight in the cold. I love to snowshoe, and this still really isn't enough to get in a good shoe'in in. I never have ice fished. Never been on a ski hill either. Always been busy snowmobiling.

Sure is purdy out this morning...will be mud by Tuesday.

20130124_075356.jpg

i seen you were getting snow over on that side of the stae ^. get out and enjoy it over the weekend. like you said, mud next week

I'm down in Kalamazoo, so I'm on the southern edge of that snow. I have about 3" in the driveway that I need to take care of tonight. I haven't had nearly the snow that you have had, maybe 5-6" total is all, so it's been enough to have to take care of but not enough to be fun...just a nuisance really. This winter has been very weird and very aggravating....I wish it would just decide to be winter already, it's so hard flip-flopping back and forth between winter and spring weather.

20130124_081005.jpg

20130124_081103.jpg

20130124_081313.jpg

20130124_081531.jpg

20130124_082124.jpg

20130124_082527.jpg

20130124_082625.jpg

20130124_083035.jpg

20130124_083015.jpg

20130124_083023.jpg

20130124_083400.jpg

I love these front AG's! They really bite and steering is vastly improved. The fatty's on the HB-112 were aggrevating by comparison.

20130124_082108.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

The 5" we were supposed to get last night didn't make it to my house. They got a fair amount of snow here in town, but out at my place I just got a mere dusting of about an inch or so. Oh well. On the bright side it just means that instead of going home this afternoon to move snow I'll go back out to the lake again.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

id="quote">
id="quote">This is how we do it in Maine, wood stove to keep warm.

fishing.jpg

fishing.jpg.5851b1c6a1f96c15a3766eb780c8f0e2.jpg

Time to give the blower a try too...not a big fan of a blower, and last nite was a bear. Had just the slightest breeze and got dusted badly. On top of that, the HB ran like poo. Was running real lean, and no amount of carb adjustment would fix it. I put it to bed and this morning found the problem. Not sure how I missed it, but the plug blew out. I found it in the back of the garage (circled in red).

20130124_081046.jpg

Ready to go...

20130124_081021.jpg

20130124_083159.jpg

20130124_083208.jpg

Cutting a path down to thte trailer (just in case that 'deal' pops up on CL)

20130124_084140.jpg

20130124_084446.jpg

20130124_084302.jpg

20130124_084725.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I never have ice fished. Never been on a ski hill either. Always been busy snowmobiling.

id="quote">
id="quote">Come up to my place in Boyne one weekend and I'll make sure you get to do both. Can snowmobile at night, though going to the Boyne River Inn to blow the frost off a couple and chat with the ski bunnies is generally my preference. I bet if I found you an auger attachment for the back of your B series and outfitted it with an ice blade you'd take to ice fishing real fast.

Biting the head off the first fish isn't something I do, but I've heard that some do that. They are close together but I've never seen anyone get their lines tangled up, Some get a little rowdy when to much beer gets passed around the camps. Some nights not much fishing takes place, just a lot of visiting and drinking. Used to be more fun for me but now that I'm a little, maybe a lot, older I fish more and drink less.

Originally posted by fishnwiz
quote:
id="quote">JUST curious!!..You guys Schmelting {|)} in those shacks that close together? Is biting the heads off the 1st one of the year a tradition in your area as it has been for years and years here in Wi?Nice snow pics TMG..Nice and light and easy to move! There is more on the way I am sure. Hope I am not hijacking..sm02fishnwiz
id="quote">id="quote">

fishing.jpg.ec9fb73132704dafd592a089eaa45995.jpg

Josh:

I really did not intend when I made my initial reply that your thread would get filled with talk about ice fishing and biting the heads off smelt. I am sorry.

Congrats Josh...Looks like a blast!!!

I cant wait to try out my "new" Sovy/plow combo and my 2nd season snowcab (used once last winter). I'm below you in the "region" (NW Ind.)& we finally got our 1st measurable snowfall today...4-6"

Sorry Josh, My bad AGAIN!

Will delete my few fishn questions as not to destract from the original post. Thanks Tony for answering my two questions about my other passion.

fishnwiz

I don't mind the banter. If one of you fellas wants to cook me up a batch, I'll be more apt to read on ;)

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

Congrats Josh...Looks like a blast!!!I cant wait to try out my "new" Sovy/plow combo and my 2nd season snowcab (used once last winter). I'm below you in the "region" (NW Ind.)& we finally got our 1st measurable snowfall today...4-6"

id="quote">
id="quote">I saw the winds shifted to northerly today, and Gary probably got pounded. We're supposed to be back in it tomorrow for a few more inches. They say next week's warm up will be short-lived, and will likely just make a frozen slush mess.

OFF TOPIC ALERT!!!

Sorry about the lack of schmelt to cook up for you... now, on the other hand if you have a hankern for some cheese curds...that I can do!

sm01

Still no real snow yet, despite the weather man's promises that it was going to snow all week. So, no plowing pics for me to share. Oh well.

And, since you don't mind the banter, I'll go ahead and answer the question at hand: Yes, I do bite the head off of the first smelt I catch each year. Then I take a healthy swig of blackberry brandy. It's tradition.

quote:Originally posted by huffy

Then I take a healthy swig of blackberry brandy.

id="quote">
id="quote">That's something I haven't had in years...used to keep it in our 'First Aid Kit' in the trunk of my sled. 'First Aid' typically referred to those types of 'medications' that eased muscle pain during a long day's ride, or melted away the bruised ego of a fellow sledder who's machine had broken down and needed to be retrieved with it, later in the day. I left my old man trailside for 5 hours in the UP once. It was a 50 degree day, and when I returned with the truck and trailer, the 'first aid' kit was all gone, and he was sleeping on his machine in a t-shirt, soaking up the sun. Thank goodness for GPS, because 5 hours is about all 'warm' hours you get up there in early March.

Weather.com says we have a 100% chance of snow today, so maybe I'll get some plowing/blowing pics this evening. But, they've been calling for snow all week and I've only gotten a few dustings, so we'll see.

The blackberry brandy's good. But, frankly, my personal preference for a cold day in the shanty is apple cider mixed with some spiced rum, and then heated up. Nothing better than a hot toddy on a cold day of ice fishing.

My Gramms used to give me the stuff (BBB)on the sly, when I would stay overnight at her house...and I was only 10 years old at the time. The Poles love their Mogan David BBB:drl