Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

thank god they are 'simple'

plastikosmd

Well my b12 BGB gave up the ghost and I was able to locate a roller and a 1 belt snowblower to boot. It looked pretty good, we negociated a price. Seller wanted to keep the exhaust off the tractor, I told him he could have the engine as that was probably easier to remove! 20 min later and I pulled the motor. I love how easy they are to work on. So, I got the roller home and pulled my machine apart. I tood the easy road and split the tractor at the BGB and did a rear/bgb switch as the roller rear looked ok. When it came time to add oil, that should have been my first clue. If course trying to add gear oil in this cold took forever. It was really low. So all back together and I took a tour. Well u guessed it, bad axle seal. So back to the parts pile to pull my rear off the bad BGB and then take the machine apart again, removing the rear from the macine and doing that swap. All told it was about 5 hrs. Not to bad for my first time and having to do it twice.

only one way to learn. and well before you know it you will be pro and giving advice to others.

but we need pictures or we will not belive it happened lol

Lol, that is why I posted here, I didn't take a pic, well I did take 1, a potential hydro hose issue to look for when u take these apart. The 'firewall' edge was putting a pretty good crease in one of my hoses. Look out for that. I also put a winch on the front of my 'woods' allis. She was an old puller( heavy front bumper with weight slots, ags, exhaust clamp on transaxle) spacers etc. The winch fit on the bumper and should be good for winching small logs into position for cutting and getting me across the small creeks I cross. Tractor was fine before but a trailer will add a challenge. I also need to add more front weight. The 'ugly' b10 may get a heart transplant next week. The 10 dies run well and I am a bit hesitant to mess with a good thing but I do have a 16 sitting that I was told it ran. We will see! I will also mount the blower on that machine

Thx for sharing pix of your wood ops. I can fully relate - those big guys are not always cooperative. I tend to split where I felled, using the trunk as a table/base - it doesn't absorb energy like the ground. Or I split near my house, using a large diameter piece as same idea. Some are high resistance - one of the worst is basswood; but it's also a great firewood. It's a very 'smelly' wood, and has high fiber texture, which makes for hard splitting. They often grow as "leaners", reaching for the light; and their texture enables them to do that.

I think about a woodsplitter; but I only have one acre. So unless I find a larger source for the future, it's hand splitting. For the ones that are too difficult, I cut in half, and split off (6") chunks. The woodstove doesn't care about the shape.

Possibly the best of it is the dreams of pioneer days that seem to come during the process. And the relaxed feeling when the day is done. And the growing supply of wood. 50 acres, Priceless. Respect the land and it will respect you; and show you many rewards.

Man that tractor looks mean with those big tires, stack, Deere weights and front winch!

quote:Originally posted by plastikosmd

bb341730d4d87a10274bd9d683d67a35.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">

There's a lot of cool things in those pictures.

I like the chainsaw rack on the trailer.

I like the winch!

That's the largest muffler/stack I've seen on one of these tractors.

Is that trailer a tandem axle? very cool.

I owned a 2004 MTD riding lawnmower for about 2 weeks and I too can appreciate the "Simple". And for that matter the "Robust" that goes with it.

-Kevin

Thx everyone. I will post better no glare pics when I get a chance. This b12 is a worker. It was my first tractor and in the short 8-10 yrs I have owned it I have replaced 2 motors, 2 steering gear sets( now to do a third soon as I discovered after hopping a log this weekend. Added a hydro, added a high/ low now rebuilt twice, bgb, but now with the old rear on. Added a second hydro ( pics to follow) for a custom plow I threw together several years ago before a big storm. Also a nice paint job that is no longer. O well

When I bought my ' ugly' allis the wife said, just part out your woods allis. No way no how

DSCN1953.jpg

Back before paint, smaller rears and a sweet but heavy plow and my custom hydro setup. The best part....

I bought a loader and a second b12 back in the day. I put the loader on the other machine but couldnt mount the tires. The experts will know why, I needed the rear spacers. Me, not knowing this assumed it was an offset issue and went to swap these ags on the loader machine. I pulled the ags off this old puller and guess what was on there? Factory spacers!!!!!!!

I will never know why and realized later how lucky I got on that find

I would let my wife split wood, but, I got tired of replacing axe handles. I use a 2 bit axe for splitting projects, and can usually hold my own against a heavy splitter, and not be as tired as the heavy splitter. Years ago, I bet 3 young 16-18 year old boys that I could split more in less time than they could, together, with their Troy-Bilt hydraulic, behind a Horse tiller, and won easily. But, that was a long time ago. I'm 57, was about 33 then. A good wood splitting workout makes you appreciate the warmth when it is burning. Keep up your good work!

Kinda new to splitting the big stuff. The maul just bounces off. Only way I can do it is with those wedges, start outside and keep working in

quote:Originally posted by MrSteele

Years ago, I bet 3 young 16-18 year old boys that I could split more in less time than they could, together, with their Troy-Bilt hydraulic, behind a Horse tiller, and won easily.

id="quote">
id="quote">That's ironic. Your name is MrSteele, which is reminiscent of John Henry the steel driving man, but your feet of beating the machine is more akin to Paul Bunyon. I guess you live up to both their legends!