Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb Jet Question

SimplicitySwede

Took my carb apart on my 3012. I cleaned it. I took the jet out. when to put it back in and it wouldn't go in and stripped out trying to get it out. Used an easy out and got it out. I had an old jet from a 23D carb. Tried putting it in and it wouldnt go any farther. Got th were all the threads were on the jet and stopped screw head sticks out. Took the jet out and thread the drain in just fine. I was thinking the threads would be 5/16 24 threads per inch. Just to be save I measure it. Its 32 per inch. My question it do they make a tap that size thats metric? I was thinking on something this old it wouldnt be metric. Looking at the threads they look fine. Any thoughts?

Here you go,

Briggs P/N 19245

Carburetor Tap Set For Selected Float Carburetors (1/4-32, 5/16-32)

My second of quite a few special tools. I was told at one time, that the thread cut was their drsign so nothing else could be screwed in there.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

Here you go,Briggs P/N 19245 Carburetor Tap Set For Selected Float Carburetors (1/4-32, 5/16-32)My second of quite a few special tools. I was told at one time, that the thread cut was their drsign so nothing else could be screwed in there.

id="quote">
id="quote">Do you know where i can find a set?

quote:Originally posted by SimplicitySwede

Do you know where i can find a set?

id="quote">
id="quote">Here's one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Briggs-Stratton-2-pc-Carburetor-Tap-Set-19245-/121027075759?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2dc69eaf&_uhb=1

I should have thought to look on Jack's first. They've got them for $10.21. When they add in shipping, it's only about $2 cheaper. But, that $2 lines your pocket better than the eBay guy's. $

i have found that some times i have to loosen the screws that hold the top and bottom of the carb together and separate them a fraction to get the jet to screw in right.

if i have the carb off the motor, i can guide the jet with a screwdriver while i'm screwing in the jet to get it to go into the hole on the top part.

if the jet doesn't start into the hole correctly, the jet may break off in the carb throat or may jam in the threaded part of the lower bowl assembly. dont ask how i know.

When you get it back together the correct installation depth from the face of the jet to the face of the carb body should be right around 1/2". From .400" to .500" is ok.

Don't forget about lapping the seat.

You may correctly install the emulsion tube, but you might have a fuel leak either at idle,or when you shut down the engine.

I took an old tube, ground off the threads, and used toothpaste to lap the seat at the base of the threads. No more leaking.

Shutting off the gas before shutting down the engine also reduces the chance for a fuel leak.

There is a Briggs part that can be installed on the tube in the event that these remedies fail to prevent leaking.