Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First plowing with the new plow

OrangeMetalGuy

Tried out my new spring-trip plow today, boy it sure was nice to be able to angle it without having to get off. Plus, with 5 positions instead of just 3 it makes it easy to find just the right attack angle.

It's heavier than my other ones but not too bad.

A rear stinger weight will help with lifting the plow. Ray has a stinger and collar weight for sale on ebay for a great price each.

Chris, the stinger will not help with the lifting since Scott's tractor is an RBT. I am going to make him an adapter to change the direction of the rear lift. With that he can use weight on the rear lift with either a stinger, or like I do with a modified barbell set.

I don't understand the big deal with changing the angle. I run mine angled to the side so the snow will "roll" off it when pushing snow for longer distances in a straight line. I do that first, then set it for cleanup. When I am in doing cleanup in tight spots either pushing snow, or pulling it out with the back of the blade, I run it set perpendicular to the tractor. I usually don't have to change it more than once or twice during my whole snow clearing adventure. Mine has a pin in it since it is not a Simplicity blade. I had the parts from another blade that could be used to change to the detent latch setup, but not worth the effort to me. Yes, I have to get off to change it but that is no big deal. Actually gives a short break from clutching a shifting and lets a little blood flow back into my rear to eliminate the numbness from sitting in one position. Oh, well, that is me and my opinion and way of doing things. The older I get, the more I "need" this exercise. LOL

Don't know how the Simplicity blade works, but if it were me, I would set the actuation rod up so that you would rotate the rod to release the lock, then push or pull the rod to move the blade, then rotate back to lock. The rotation would be spring loaded to keep the lock in place during use. This may be the way it is, like I said, never seen one up close. About a 45 minute drive to the closest member that I know who has one.

quote:Originally posted by HubbardRA

Chris, the stinger will not help with the lifting since Scott's tractor is an RBT. I am going to make him an adapter to change the direction of the rear lift. With that he can use weight on the rear lift with either a stinger, or like I do with a modified barbell set.

id="quote">
id="quote">Only the early RBT's are not able to utilize the counterbalance option without the special adaptor bracket made for use with the 38 HD tillers. Somewhere in the line of 700/7000 series they made the cable hookup on the liftshaft a 2 position affair. On those the upper pin hole set makes it so you can use a rear counterweight, IE push the lever forward to lift rear attachment. The other lower set of holes gived you more leverage and you pull the lever back to lift rear attachments. My 914 Allis is set up to use a rear counterweight with my Dozer blade using the upper factory cable position.

Rod, you nailed it, that's exactly how it works.

For my tight driveway, with 3 or 4 vehicles to plow around, it makes it a lot nicer.

Scott,

I am going to try and get your adapter made this week. It is supposed to warm up Tuesday and Wednesday, so I can get out and do it. I have all of the pieces except one that I have been using as templates. Think I will just trace some cardboard templates for future use and make your adapter from the pieces I have. I will get in touch with you for address to ship to when it is finished and I know the shipping costs. Hope to ship by end of week.

• 2 weeks later...

Rod, are making up the lift converter for members?

I have an Allis built T12 and would love to use a counterweight with my blower and plow, even though I have an elect lift, it would take some strain off it and may give me a bit more lift speed.

If so how much for the unit?

Thanks