Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CarlH

Lubricant and Sealer Questions.

CarlH

I am working on a project to add a Cessna 3-spool (Deere H3) valve to my Sunstar so I can have independent outlets for a remote cylinder at the both the front and rear. I have sort of figured out the fitting terminology and understand a bit about JIC flange fittings and O-Ring Boss (ORB) fittings.

Being cheap, I have found used Sunstar hydraulic lift handles and modified them to have 3 using the same pivot mechanism. The handles pivot on a 5/8" pin and there are nylon bushings between the pin and the handle pivots. The used pin is covered in iron oxide dust. I have cleaned it up. Is there an appropriate lubricant to use between the steel pin and the nylon bushing to prevent future corrosion?

Also, what is a good sealer to use on the 1/4" NPT hydraulic fittings?

TIA

HubbardRA

Carl, I would use silicon grease as a lubricant between the steel and plastic. I would also just use teflon tape on the npt fittings. I have also just used old oil base paint as a sealant on joints on pipe threads.

Kent

Even though I use it, a caution when using Teflon tape on hydraulic fittings. Make sure your wrap the tape back a bit from the end, leaving at least one full thread or more exposed without tape. Also, just one full layer of tape, with a bit of overlap at the seam. The last thing you want is the threads slicing loose a sliver of tape when you tighten it, and that small piece of tape then going downstream in the hydraulic system, into a valve or cylinder.

Hydraulics operate at a high pressure and flow, especially in comparison to fuel lines, etc., so you don't want any of the tape exposed, flapping in the current... you don't want it wiggling and breaking loose. Make sure you keep the tape back away from the ends...

I'll get off my soapbox now... :o:D

MrSteele

I'm nowhere close to my shop, but for hydraulics and air piping, I use a semi-liguid sealant, will look it up tomorrow and post. I just always called it pipe dope, can get it in tubes from almost anyone selling pipe and accessories, or, in pints with a brush. Then, you never have to worry about small pieces of tape getting into anything that they shouldn't

Architectdave

Im not sure if they still sell it but I like to use what gramps used which is "pipe stick" I fortunately have a whole box of them and they are like big white crayons you rub across the treads and it leaves sealant in the threads. I guess its really jsut thick liquid sealant. Gramps always had a set of keys, pocket knife and a stub of pipe stick in his pocket with him everyplace he went.