Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wife found a log splitter - updates - video

perry

Wife found a log splitter on the local garage sale web page. people were moving and only asking $100 . said everthing worked last year but needs carb work.

this thing is a monster. 6ft wide and 10ft long. the ram is huge on it. guy said it would split anything :D. been after a splitter for a long time and could not pass this one up for the price.

what do you think of the chain drive ?. should i convert to a belt ?. going to build a cover over it for sure.

00001abc003.jpg

00001abc001.jpg

00001abc005.jpg

00001abc004.jpg

00001abc002.jpg

00001abc006.jpg

Wow looks like the one I built and we use it at the inlaws place since the heat with wood. Looks close to mine and I mounted the pump with motor shaft and used a lovejoy and have a few inserts in the box just in case. We thought about a belt/chain and went this way in case it would be a nasty day and no belt slippage and no rusty chains down the road. Because it sits out in the woods with a tarp over it.

Dang!! 11 horse is worth more than the $100...hydraulics are too. Heck of a lot of steel there! You got a heck of a deal! Looks more like a small car crusher (tractor crusher?)

I would oil the chain good, put an idler on it to keep it tight, and make a cover for the chain. Then, good to go for quite a few years.

Be sure to oil the chain often. Dry silicon lubricant in a rattlecan also works great on chains, is easy to apply, and does not attract dirt like oil and grease does.

The chain drive will hold longer and not slip like a belt under full load. If I did anything I would move the sprocket up the crankshaft towards the engine as close as possible. That far out it will work the rear bearing real hard on the engine.

i was thinking about belt slipping also. just was not sure on the chain drive. been spolied over the years useing my buddys new splitter. ive seen the love joy setup on some others too. the sprocket is welded to the crank sm00.

Wow, you turn me green with envy. Just this past Friday I paid 2160 for a new 30 ton Agriease splitter cuz me and the ole 8 lb mall must part ways. Looks to be a lot more machine then the ones at the box sores. About tue it is suppose to warm back up to around zero so I'll get it off the truck and get a pic. Been 40-50 below since I got home.

The only thing my girl finds at garage sales is JUNK! My girl would have walked right past it and never said a word to me about it!C

SUPER DEAL!!

Going to a "Lovejoy" or other direct coupling would save a great deal of wear/stress on both the pump and motor's main bearings. But it is possible that there is to much pump for that motor without the gear reduction. (If he said it would split anything I don't think the engine will be a problem)

And I personally would not want that chain anywhere near where I would be working without at least 1/4 plate around it.

All said and done, if that were mine, I would invest the time to move the pump and make the unit direct drive. Much more safe and better for the life of the unit. IMO

Good luck and grats on a very good buy !

Nice find. I have seen a few in our area, but someone feels they are worth gold. A little work will produce a good machine.

Heck of a deal!!

But anything I can pick up an load onto a splitter I can pick up and load into my stove. I prefer to be able to tilt the bed and split vertically.

Nice find! I use to run several salt spreaders on the back of my trucks. I had a couple that where belt driven an a few that where chain. Although the belt drives worked well I always seemed to gravitate towards the chain driven ones. Very positive, maybe a bit noisier which does not matter for the gasers. I found that the chain lube from napa works well. It's sticky and does not sling off the chain like regular oil. Enjoy your new toy!

Steal of a deal.

Fire it up and throw a log at it.

Keep feet away from chain - fence, cover, barrier, post, whatever 8)

Make sure all the ponies are hitched to the wagon.... :o

Mark another one up for the direct drive with lovejoy. I wouldn't leave the chain set up on there for reasons already mentioned. I had a similar deal with my log splitter. It's a horizontal/vertical type and everything was there except an engine, so with 40 or so engines on the shelves, it was a no brainer to pick it up. Great score Perry!!!! Gotta thank the Mrs. for the rest of the year on that find!!

I think if you keep the chain that you should get an idler with a weak spring mounted, just to keep the chain lashing to a minimum without putting strain on the engine or pump bearings and definitely make a sturdy cover for the chain.

Looking forward to an update with how it performs!!

8D Great find Perry. When we still lived on the farm and heated with wood I had a vertical splitter on my D14 and ran it off the loader hydraulic pump. Ideal setup as the D14 loader bucket would move a pile of split wood up to the house and the splitter was always ready to use. As for changing to a Lovejoy coupling; that sprocket is far enough out the shaft to split it with your torches and grind the weld off the shaft. Just wet a large towel and wrap around the shaft to keep any heat away from the seal. It shouldn't take you long to split sprocket and keep heat to a minimum on the shaft itself. Dave

Looking at the sprockets, that motor may not turn that pump at full speed. I have belt drive (two belts) with a 12hp, the belt drive gives you a give point (clutch like) when you put the lever between ports (no pressure relief). The belt squawks, but you did not hurt anything.

update, got the briggs engine running . the cylinder started moving out real slow when the engine started. the lever does not seem to do anything. the cylinder ran all the way out real slow on its own. the hydro fluid looks awfull and the front seal leaks. so i pulled the lines and tank and drained the fluid out. that is as far as i got for now. when i get time ill put new fluid and filter on and hope it works. still will need to address the front seal.

but for only paying $100 I was not expecting it to be perfect. im still ahead with a good running 11hp briggs engine sm01.

with the one flat shredded tire had to figure out a way to get this thing to roll by hand. it has old hubs with a 5 1/4" pattern and lug bolts. a 15" rim on one side and 16" on the other.

so i dug around the yard and found had a old 15" chevy rim and tire . drilled 3 holes in the rim to fit the hub on splitter. the hubs have a big center so slid rim on as far as it would go and used spacers to fill the gap between rim and hub. then just used nuts/bolts to hold rim on. no more flat tire and i can push it around now.

splitter005_zps9fbf0c76.jpg

splitter007_zpsa0340d25.jpg

splitter009_zpsce65acd8.jpg

splitter010_zps3ca82dab.jpg