Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sb64

Simplicity Broadmoor 728 Starter Generator

sb64

I have recently picked up a 1971 Simplicity Broadmoor 728. When i bought it, the guy told me the engine was seezed. It turns out, the engine is fine, but the starter/generator was filled with water and rusted the brushes, and magnets along with the armeture. I need to find one somewhere besides E-Bay. All i need is used. The number is,

Delco Remy

Model: 1101695

Anything would be helpful thanks.

BLT
quote:Originally posted by sb64

I have recently picked up a 1971 Simplicity Broadmoor 728. When i bought it, the guy told me the engine was seezed. It turns out, the engine is fine, but the starter/generator was filled with water and rusted the brushes, and magnets along with the armeture. I need to find one somewhere besides E-Bay. All i need is used. The number is,Delco RemyModel: 1101695Anything would be helpful thanks.

id="quote">
id="quote">Put an add in the classified section under Wanted . That will probably get you quicker replies. Welcome to the club.

timflury

I have one, on a tractor. I have the correct long one for my Landlord waiting to go on it. I won't part with the one you need until I make sure the replacement works ok. Unfortunately, I won't be using my Landlord until tilling season starts.

fishnwiz

sb64. Sorry , the unit I have is the long version 1101689 and not the short fat version 1101695 that you are looking for.

Maybe someone else has a spare lying around that can help the kid out?

rsnik

I have a short frame unit. With that 728 the idea is to find a solid state engine which is a drop in plug and play.

I gave away my 717 and 728 to a club member and I have to think back on the best way to go. As I recall you can find a freebie, solid state, 19 ci engine if you look hard enough. It can't have a tapered shaft, it must have a 1" by 3" shaft. These engines equipped a great number of small or real small frame ride on mowers.

Granted, I could never find one when I was looking for it but came across them when I was not. Keep a sharp eye out if you have a dump or transfer station. Often people discard ride on mowers with the engine needed that only suffers from old gas.

These short frame S/Gs require the rare regulator. It has fewer poles. It's all about buying expensive troubles dealing with the short frame S/G.

Much better to try and find a solid state (after 1982) engine with a 1" by 3" shaft. It drops right in. No more endless, expensive, short frame S/G troubles.

You will need some luck and some knowledge to score on a freebie scrapper that has the needed engine. It is well worth the effort.

sb64

That's o.k. I finally found a starter generator fr $40.00 from a guy in California. The engine is in great shape, and I already have an expensive list of parts on their way. So to do the swap now probably won't work. Thanks though. If I do keep on having troubles in the future, I will probably get a more modern engine. I want to try to keep it as origional as possible.