Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Largest tire & wheel combo for large frames????

AC712H

Wondering if you guys could share what the largest wheel and tire combos you use on your large frame tractors. I mainly work with 700 and 900 series Allis and Simplicity equals. Will 26 x 12 x 12 fit??

quote:Originally posted by osenga

No the 26x12x12 won't they will be tight up against the cone clutch

id="quote">
id="quote">You might get what you want.WTcmowerDstnce.jpg Those are 24 X 12 X 12 tires on 8.5 rim openings and offset, I think, is the same as 23 X 10.5 X 12 with 7.4 rim opening. I bought the rims from Memphis and helped him dismount them of a 3012 Sovereign. You can see that there is just enough air space to get around cone clutch. I stood the 4 X 4's up to see is a 42" mower deck would work. Ii was 40" across.:D

Clearance at the cone clutch depends on the backspacing of the wheel you choose to use as much as the tire size. Also the wheels mine are on are twelve inches wide, on the inside of the rim where the bead seats. Here is a picture of the 26x12x12 turf tires on my AC 713S. Plenty clearance at the cone clutch with these wheels. I know there is plenty of clearance, since this is the tractor that I mow with. I also have a set of 26x12x12 AGs mounted on 11.5 inch wide wheels. They also work on these tractors. Both sets of wheels that I have the large tires on were widened for tractor pulling. I did one set of them. The others were already done when I got them.

New tires 005.jpg

57e05d90912a1_Newtires005.jpg.9d07ab8444da8421a59fbb71797529b1.jpg

The stance of those tractors is nice. I will have to see what I can find. John Deere must have had some with a deep offset. Maybe? Thanks for the pictures.

quote:Originally posted by huffy

Bob:Are those the tires you threw in the river?Sorry, couldn't resist :)

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep! It was funny. Took me six months to find the right rims and after they get paid for, they go floatin' down the creek.:D:D:D And I really got a deal.

quote:Originally posted by AC712H

The stance of those tractors is nice. I will have to see what I can find. John Deere must have had some with a deep offset. Maybe? Thanks for the pictures.

id="quote">
id="quote">Deere's have a deeper offset then Simplicity on the axle side. I have a pair of them and I can show you how deep they go into tire. You need at least a 1" spacer on clutch side.

You can buy rim centers and rim blanks from Miller Tire. Just weld the centers in where you want them to create the offset you need. Here's the link:

http://www.millertire.com/categories/wheels/lawn-garden/?sort=featured&page=2

I've also seen guys cut the centers out of an old pair of rims and then re-weld them in to create more offset. Much cheaper that way.

I have seen a number of large frames with 26x12x12 setups. As stated above, you have to have the proper wheels and offsets. I believe however, that you may have some trouble raising a 48" mower deck as the rollers hit the tires before it can be raised much.

I am not sure how or if these tires would affect other attachments, both center and rear.

Here is a Deere rim from what model I do not know, but it is approx 1-1/2 " closer to the cone clutch and this is what you get.

Deere Rim.jpg

They were on the 718 I bought from my cousin. Luckily, the hydro filter on it is remote mounted or it would have got knocked off as it did to my 7116 with the mounted filter.

All 26-12-12 tires are not created equal some have a higher sidewall than others,for offset rims my Cub Cadet 1782 diesel has more than any GT I've seen as the axles on the 82 and 84 series Cubs are very short so they all use the offset.If you want floatation the 26-12-12 is a good tire but if you want traction a large frame can't carry enough weight to make them really bite.

I am looking for more traction and appearance also. You guys have some massive tires on some of those machines! I thought about adding weight to the frames but I do not want to have axle issues either. . .

26x12-12's will fit - like everyone says - it depends on the tire and wheel used. Just for ease of description, backspacing is a better term to use than offset. Offset should be expressed as positive or negative, in inches. Backspacing is simply how many inches from a line across the edge of the wheel to the face of the center that bolts up against the wheel hub. Deep backspacing would be say 6". Shallow backspacing would be 3". A 1997 Sovereign wheel has about 2 3/4" (I can't find my notes)of backspacing for the original 23x10.5-12's. I moved the centers on some Cub Cadet compact tractor wheels to match that and threw on a set of old Firestone 26x12-12s. Wheels are either 10 or 11" wide - can't remember. I wish I would have gone to about 3 - 3 1/4" backspacing to narrow it up a little. Plenty of room to the clutch. My tires were cut for pulling, so the tread was a little short, but not much room to fenders in the stock location.

1020069Small.JPG

1020070Small.JPG

1020066Small.JPG

1020069Small.JPG.9c56235c231e8341aa881bad577f4596.JPG

1020070Small.JPG.a42d101cbba1ad219efd786a2929ca84.JPG

1020066Small.JPG.3405ab1da67f9163037fc224800ce547.JPG

We also had 26x12x12s on our 7116. originally, they were tubed and on custom-made widened rims that were split down the center (the metal of the rim was overlapped). Then we had adjustable bolts welded on both sides of the split so we could crank them to widen or narrow the rims as needed when they used to pull with them on a b212. I don't recall what width they were, but I know withe the adjustable bolts they could be made to be over 12 inches wide (the outside was the side that slid in or out). As years went on and they stopped pulling with the b212, they ended up getting installed on the 7116. They became rusty and then we just widened them to what we wanted and filled the puppies with CaCl. BTW - I love those Firestones on your Sovy, TimJr. Those are the exact same one we had and ours were for pulling like that too.

quote:Originally posted by TimJr

26x12-12's will fit - like everyone says - it depends on the tire and wheel used. Just for ease of description, backspacing is a better term to use than offset. Offset should be expressed as positive or negative, in inches. Backspacing is simply how many inches from a line across the edge of the wheel to the face of the center that bolts up against the wheel hub. Deep backspacing would be say 6". Shallow backspacing would be 3". A 1997 Sovereign wheel has about 2 3/4" (I can't find my notes)of backspacing for the original 23x10.5-12's. I moved the centers on some Cub Cadet compact tractor wheels to match that and threw on a set of old Firestone 26x12-12s. Wheels are either 10 or 11" wide - can't remember. I wish I would have gone to about 3 - 3 1/4" backspacing to narrow it up a little. Plenty of room to the clutch. My tires were cut for pulling, so the tread was a little short, but not much room to fenders in the stock location.

1020069Small.JPG

1020070Small.JPG

1020066Small.JPG

id="quote">
id="quote">

Yeah, I love the old Firestones too. Those tires are from the mid 1980's. The guy I got them from about 13 years ago used a screwdriver or pry bar to change them out on his motorcycle powered mini-rod. The beads were severely damaged and had to have tubes. The wire inside the bead was actually broken apart in places. I took those tires off last fall - the bead/sidewall was starting to pop over the edge of the wheel. Now I have a set of similiar vintage Goodyear 26x12-12's on the wheels. I will get pics in the spring when they go on. The original 23's are on it now with chains. Tim