Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rusty Gas tank

sb64

On my Broadmoor 728, the gas tank was full of water. It didn't leak out the water, so it doesn't leak. But, the thing is very rusty on the inside. I haven't done anything to it yet. What could i put in it to help.

Thanks,

Ryan

Fill the tank partially up with small pebbles and the shake it for all it's worth. That cleans the rust. There are other methods, so don't jump in on my suggestion. See if more pop up.

I basically do what Bob said. The only difference is that instead of pebbles I fill the tank with some 1/4" nuts (just what I had) and a few cups of WD40 (again, just what I had). Then, to save my arm, I took another member's advice (can't remember who) and strapped the tank to my tractor wheel so it spun around while I was mowing the grass.

I tried filling one with a rust removal product that I bought at TSC, for like $22 a gallon, but it didn't work as good.

The epoxy fixes tend to be more expensive then a replacement tank off of ebay! Again, someone here may have what you are looking for.

As a side note, if you had water in your tank, there is a good possibility that water also is present in the carb bowl. If tractor was out in the elements,the carb float could be toast. You may want to check that also as long as your hunting parts.

Mark

thanks guys, i'll try that. Usually as soon as i get a project, I pull the engine, then look at the carb. This time, I just haven't got to the carb.

After the cleaning, use this for a liner. Most any decent tractor parts shop has it, didn't realize O'Reilly's did until now. Look the directions up online for thinners for the first coat, a good thin coat the first coat will fill all crevices better than the thicker final full strength coat. Kinda pricey, but the tank will never rust again from the inside, I don't care what you let sit in it.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DAM0/REDKOTE.oap?pt=N2392&ppt=C0126

27.00 is not too bad. Thats what you will pay with shipping for a good tank off of ebay. Not sure how many tanks you can do with a quart but may be worth it.

I filled mine with a pound of roofing nails, taped up the holes. Wrapped it in 2 grocery bags then two crappy towels, then 2 crappy blankets, and put it in the dryer with no heat for an hour. Don't tell your wife what you're doing, but don't leave a mess.

But I don't have a tractor to drive around for an hour.

-kevin

I use a little muriatic acid and water. It will clean out the rust fast. I would only do it for 5 minutes at a time. Then pore in baking soda into it to neutralize. It will eat through the bottom if the rust pits goes all the way through.

Be very careful to wear the proper safety equipment. It is dangerous stuff.

I didn`t seal mine that was in the B212 I use to owned. Probably wouldn`t hurt though. Never noticed any rust afterwards with gas in the tank instead of water. Mine was rust from water in tank from sitting in a field.

I bought a quart several years ago. Still have some in it. It has done several Yazoo tanks (3/4 gallon or so capacity), the landlord tank, and a 10 gallon tank on a welding machine. The secret is the thinner. First coat is 50/50, MEK, I think. If you already have holes, a simple patch over the hole can be masking tape, or you can solder the hole shut. Thin the second coat about 25%, you shouldn't need a third coat. BUT, if you have ever read a label that says something about "well-ventilated" Pay this one very close attention!

I'm hoping that all i have to do is shake it with pebbles/aquarium gravel or 1/4 in. nuts with a little WD-40. I'm pretty sure it doesn't leak. Thanks for your help.

Wish I had seen these suggestions before getting rid of the gas tank on my rototiller thinking it was done. Really got a laugh out of the dryer cleaning approach. God forbid if that went south!

However, I got a plastic one off a toro snowblower someone scrapped at the dump.

Moleman

Thought I would throw this in. We are working on an old Case back hoe at work, and the fuel tank was full of rust. I brought in my home made tank tumbler and tried out some Evapo Rust I pickup from O'Reily's. Here are some pictures I took today sorry they aren't very clear.

mini-20130131_112141.jpg

mini-20130131_112233.jpg

mini-20130131_112351.jpg

The tumbler is made from a Sukup gear motor that drives a grain stirring machine. It turns 1 RPM. I normally use ceramic tumbling media, the with the design of this tank it just wouldn't work. That's why I decided to try out a liquid solvent.

mini-20130131_112403.jpg

This is what I picked up. It is biodegradable, acid free, water soluble, safe on skin, and only $22.00!

mini-20130131_112445.jpg

I spun the tank in a few different angles, with the full gallon of Evapo Rust, for 3 hours. Emptied it out and went to town on it with a Hotsy. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the before and after from inside the tank. It went from thick rust cover to bare metal. I couldn't belive the results.

mini-20130131_112141.jpg.bc1eaff8fb25a66a25fc751a8098d65b.jpg

mini-20130131_112233.jpg.e24566a3d7f658a92a64419a21ff03f7.jpg

mini-20130131_112351.jpg.df3cbf87fb9a207becb9f2a0a42544d1.jpg

mini-20130131_112403.jpg.e4c64322ff8cb3afaf3ef65085a2efcb.jpg

mini-20130131_112445.jpg.263c90096510e73f5314606aabd45b27.jpg

Now that's an idea. I just have to see who carries it around here. I don't believe theirs any Oriely's around here, but napa might be able to order it.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Bad news, I took the gas tank off, And there are about five, 1/4" holes and two 2" hole where I can see right through the bottom.

I did use the 1/4" nuts, to shake it, but I think I need to look for another one. Theirs no way I can repair it. The 707,717,727,728,and 738 all use the same tank I believe.

• 1 month later...

Someone told me you can repair small holes in gas tank with auto body filler. Once it dries , it's hard.

Don't know. But you may not have anything to lose on your bad tank.