Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deep snow

ka9bxg

Well it was a slow ride to work today good amount of snow and some drifting with some ice on the bottom. Got home at 12:00 tonight to snow 2 feet deep in most of the drive way and next to the garage snow over a foot above the top of the blower. Now with a 3212 that would be a good amount but over the top of the Allis 720 that is a bit of snow.The tractor worked its pants off but went right through with a bit of barking. Tried to take some video but have not been able to look at it yet.If I do get it to work I will post it on you tube. Was fun in the dark. Bob

Some guys get all the fun, it went from 8 degrees here last week to 54 right now with monsoon rain. It will be 20 again tomorrow they say.

quote:Originally posted by Architectdave

Some guys get all the fun, it went from 8 degrees here last week to 54 right now with monsoon rain. It will be 20 again tomorrow they say.

id="quote">
id="quote">Sounds like we're a day ahead of ya Dave. Was 60's on Tuesday, 45 and monsoon yesterday (melted all of 15+ inches we had on the ground), currently it's 19 and snowing hard. Supposed to get colder all day and into the weekend, with a foot of snow off the lake. Everything is a block of ice now. I had 3" of standing water in the woodlot out back, from the rain and melt, over frozen ground. I'm betting it's an ice rink now.

We'll here in the Northeast it started as freezing drizzle yesterday morning and then got all heavy rain with high winds last night (50mph gusts) and this morning. Only had 3 snowblow events all winter.

I also like snowblowing in the dark with the head lights on my 6216. Just got to keep a keen eye out for the town plow when banks get high. Good luck with the snow off the lakes.

Moleman

I haven`t put on a blower or plow yet. Crazy rain yesterday. If it had been snow it would have been two to four feet in the past couple of days. Four inches of snow here today and still snowing. Unless it gets real bad, I will keep driving over it. Four to six weeks and I will be installing the tiller.:D

Every time we get a prediction of ANY precipitation the forecasters cut it back every time there is a new forecast. This last round of snow started out as 6 to 8 inches. Buy the time it got here I had about four inches in front of the garage door that tapered to nothing buy 10 feet out. The drive had one little drift six inches wide and 2 inches deep.

I went to all that work to get my new 7119 running and still haven't had a chance to play with it:(!:D

Ken

We had a heck of a rain storm-thunder and the whole bit.

Then on the 29th we got 7.5 in of snow, I went out to the

garage where I keep my blower tractor,---Dead Battery.

I hooked up the trickle charger,took the Big-10 with the

blade and chewed away at it in till my battery cooked awhile.

I finily got it cleared.

I don't mind buying a new battery it's taking the cab loose

to replace it. ( slight design flaw on my partsm02)

Well, here its minus 15 and my mound system is not working. Pump or froze up so as far as I'm concerned you can take the snow, ice, and cold temps and put it all in your back yardsm02sm02sm02. Right now I would settle for 70 above and sunshinedOddOddOd.

I planted my mound with wildflowers years ago, I used to mow it in the fall, now I leave it till spring, I think the brush and snow really insulate the mound. -12 here today, very Marty like weather

Not to sidetrack but whats a mound system? septic leach field? Ive been an Architect for 16 years and never head that term bbefore....

quote:Originally posted by Architectdave

Not to sidetrack but whats a mound system? septic leach field? Ive been an Architect for 16 years and never head that term bbefore....

id="quote">
id="quote">

BTmound.jpg

That pile of dirt to the left and rear of the house is the installed mound system and yes, it part of the sanitary system if you're not connected to a municipal system here in Wisconsin, I believe.

Looks like what we call a raised leach field or raised septic system.

Around here they are used anywhere land won't "perk" or drain sufficiently.

"Mound system" must be a regional term.

I knew some of you guys in Wisconsin weren't quite right :D:D:D

That's my son's house and the land perk'd OK, but there was something with the ground that caused him to have the basement started at grade level. So, he needed fill. I beleive he quit counting after fifty loads. He did luck out as there was underground work being done close to his house and all the stuff came free, even top soil.:D

I have never seen or heard of a mound system in this area. They do use what is called "engineered septic systems" in some areas where the ground does not perk or is marginal. In those, the liquid component is pressure infused into the soil. That part of the septic system is only something like 1/2 inch plastic pipe with special one way valves on it. I have never seen one, just been told about them. These are not needed in the area where I live since we have quite a bit of sand in our soil and a normal leech type septic system works well.

Its called a mound system cause golly its a mound of dirt and yes its used when the septic system doesn't perk. Of course we are more logical people here and don't try to BS everyone with FANCY terms.:D:p8D^

quote:Originally posted by jmhusby

Its called a mound system cause golly its a mound of dirt and yes its used when the septic system doesn't perk. Of course we are more logical people here and don't try to BS everyone with FANCY terms.:D:p8D^

id="quote">
id="quote">Here it is and let's go back to shoveling snow as this is getting on the smelly side of shovlin'.:D:Dhttp://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/ww/publications/pipline/pl_su99.pdf

I finally forced myself to fire up the 7119 and blow some snow with it. It was hardly worth the trouble as it took me all of three or four minutes. I could have hand scooped it just as fast. Everything worked to plan except the engine wouldn't hold full throttle. It kept creeping back to about half. Engine ran great otherwise.

Ken

This is a double thread. Snow/septic mound.

No snow to speak of, very unusual and fine with me.

Septic mounds are very common here.

We live about 40 miles south of Boston on Kingston Bay, part of Plymouth Bay where the Pilgrims invented tourism.

My house is on a sweet spot where I don't need one, but many homes are on sand with a high water table and require a mound septic system. The mound disperses the moisture into the air instead of the usual permeation into the ground.

We call them "Sand Mounds" here in central PA. They have vertical pipes to vent and are about 3 or four feet high. I understand it's about $30k to install one. And you must install a sand mound, no more of the old drain fields, which I have.

My apologies for sidetracking the thread, so it looks like we might get 12-24" of whitecensored1.giffriday into saturday here in Maine....Snow makes winter easier to take in my opinion.

Well we got it again not much snow but a lot of blowing so another fight with the drifts in the drive. This time it was worse driving home most times I could only go 35 miles per hour on the way home. Lots of drifts on the road. Glad I took the truck again.Bob