Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

Diff it weren't for bad luck . . .

huffy

This morning I was out plowing the fairly big snow we got last night. Pushed some snow up against my pile, and then the tractor wouldn't reverse. I pushed it back away from the pile and tried all gears. Nothing. The axle tube spins, but the tires don't rotate. I'm guessing this means that I broke something in the diff.

One of these days I'm going to get to where I can run one of my tractors for more than two days without breaking something.

bowhunt4life

This same situation happened to another club member last sunday. He drove his 66 landlord into the shop just fine. Myself and Yellow B10 went up and helped install a Hydrolift and HI-LO and when all finished the tractor would go in reverse but the rest of the gears the axle tube would spin.

After some suggestions from other members in a thread we posted it was suggested to look at the collars near the differentials and make sure they were locked down tight.

We haven't had time to try this but it is what I would suggest.

Talntedmrgreen

I second the collars, first. If there's enough play, it can get away from the key on the shaft. Sorry for the bad luck...but, please, keep it up there.

My HB runs like a dream, but is getting lean after she's good and hot, and under a load. I think it's sucking air somewhere, and I can't track it down. That's all the headache I need. Everything else runs like a Timex and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

rokon2813

My squire did same thing in the last snow.

Try jacking up the rear, push right side tire to the left.

On the left side is a collar on the axle that slipped, moved the collar back to the right against the trans and that was it.

they dont need to move much for the gears to no longer mesh in the diff.

huffy

Thanks, guys. I'll check the collars tonight when I get home from work.

I left out that after it did this I grabbed the other tractor and pulled it back into the garage with a chain. I looked at it for a minute, started it back up, and it worked. Started plowing snow again, and the first time I got to the end of a run it did the same thing. So, if it's a loose collar it could be that it's slipping in and out of engagement.

I took the axle out a few months ago to put new axle seals in. Perhaps I didn't get the collar good an tight. That, or the set screw's just worked loose because I didn't put any loctite on the set screw.

huffy
quote:Everything else runs like a Timex and I'd prefer to keep it that way.id="quote">
id="quote">

I'd prefer to keep mine that way too. But, alas, I guess Murphy just thinks I need more practice as a mechanic. That I don't mind; I'm learning a lot from all the fixing I've had to do. But, I just wish that Murphy didn't always decide to visit when it's like 2 degrees out.

OrangeMetalGuy

You will probably find circular marks on the shaft where the set screws bit into it when the factory installed them. I have been led to believe that it's best to try to get the setscrews to go back into those slight bitings when reassembling, thus reducing the risk of them slipping on the shaft. Might want to try getting them back into those same depressions.

Talntedmrgreen
Originally posted by huffy
quote:
id="quote">It can also happen on a 90 degree, sunny day, but only after work, when you're half way to the boat, and the cooler flips and dumps in the bed of the truck after your u joint goes out, and you run out of gas.

dirtmister16

murphy and me, we get along well. i just tell him to go bother someone else after i get enough of him. he leaves then comes back and hits me harder because i censored1.gif him off lol

i used to read about him in trucker books, i liked him. wish i could read a few of those again.