Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stuck Carb Adjustment Needles

Homesteader

Hi guys, on the onan I put in my new puller, the carb adjustment needles are both stuck. The other day before I posted the second video on my Show and Tell thread I tried adjusting it a little to make it run a little better. The only adjustment i could manage was the idle speed screw. I took the carb off last night and put it in a tank of carb cleaning solution in hopes of breaking free the gunk that has them seized. I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas on how else I could free them up. Thanks

The same trick I have used in the past to free an emulsion tube also did free stuck needles on 3 of the carbs I have done this on. After removing everything rubber or paper I could off of the carb, I dipped the carb into a roiling pot of hot water for 2-3 min intervals.All I wanted to do was to get the carb body as hot as I could. I wore a hot pad glove to handle the carb and had a screw driver handy...When the body was good and hot, I pulled the carb from the water, set it on a cookie sheet and using a back and forth motion, unstuck every one of the needles that were stuck.

This is just one simple none complicated / aggressive indirect heat method that has worked for me in the past! Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the advice. I tried it and got one free fairly easy. But I am back to square one because the second one turned out to be broken so when I tried to turn it, it sheared of....ngr2yell:Y

Any tips on how to get the needle out now? or am I screwed...

Now what you do is drill it out with the closest drill bit you have. Make sure it won't hit the threads. You have to leave a little bit of the jet on the outside of the hole itself. That way you don't ruin the threads. After you drill it, take a skrew driver, and just push the jet away from the wall, and just keep wiggling it till it comes out. I had to do this on my other Broadmoor it can take a little while, but it works pretty good. Hope this made sense. Someone else might have a better idea.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can't believe it but my girlfriend's dad actually had a good carb of a bad engine. Problem solved. I'll try to remove the needle anyways so I can have a spare body in case i ever need it.