Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
shaunssb212

Allis Chalmers 616 Power Max - What to Look for

shaunssb212

There is a 616 compact tractor that is close to home and that will be for sale in the future. It has sat outside, being inoperative for a while now. Everything seems to be there and it has had a tarp over the front half to protect it somewhat from the elements.

My questions are what is it worth and what are the unforeseen pitfalls I may run into if I were to purchase it? Are parts still available and if so, are they costly? As you can see I know very little about them. I do not want to get into a situation where I have double the money into a functioning 616 when I could have a model WD or WD45 for less and have lots more tractor. I am just attracted to the 616 - 620 - 720 style tractors because I think they are neat.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

fishnwiz

Tough call..Does it run? Did it run? What are they asking for it? What attachments come with it? The answers to these questions will be a big help to the guys with the answers. Wish I could be of more help. Mark

shaunssb212

All good questions which I should have included in the first post. It doesn't run. Next time I go to take a look I will be better prepared and bring a wrench to see if the engine is stuck or not. No attachments, tires are original and checked / cracked some, tin work is straight with original paint. Three point hitch is on it yet.

midnightpumpkin

No attachments and not running, I wouldn't give over $400 for it. Once you get it running, the tractor is worth maybe $800 with the 3 point hitch. If it has major engine problems, you are looking at several hundred dollars to repair/replace the engine.

That's my take on it, others may have other opinions.

John U

fishnwiz

Non running brings the price way down unless you know you can trust seller or he is going to back the tractor with a refund if tractors engine is not as stated. I agree that 800.00 is an accurate retail price with extras and in great restored condition. Without extras and non running, I myself would be low on my offer price to the point I may insult most sellers,but that's just me..250.00 range if tractors complete,has compression, no water in oil or fuel system. Tires are expensive to replace so that is another factor in my book. Keep in mind these are just my way of looking at things..others, I am sure will differ. No matter what I think, you yourself has to be comfortable with what YOU feel is the correct price to pay because at the end of the day, It's your money and not mine!

Best of luck.

Mark.

dhardin

This is just my opinion here so don't take this as gospel. Your question comparing which is better between a powermax series and a WD series is cost. A running wd45 can go for $2000 to $3000, a running powermax $800 to $1200 both no attachments. So cost wise a powermax would come out ahead. The simplicity/Alice powermax would be essayer to transport, take 1/2 the storage space. there about the same for parts availability, both a bit high on some parts. Many of the powermax parts are more standard than you think. I love the ride and handling of the powermax, it is not at all like any garden tractor you will find and much more tractor like. I have used a WD and it takes a lot of room to turn it around, Also rough on turf grass, the seat sits uncomfortable for me. But a lot more weight and power over the Powermax.

So there are pluses on both side and minuses to. The one issue with powermax that scares off many prospective buyers is the PTO bearings, both front and read. I have found a less expensive solution so don't let this stop you. The PTO is fixable.

When talking to the now owner I would justify no more than a $400 offer by 1) this dose not run, 2) these PTOs parts are no longer available from the dealer. If the guy knows tractors he will see you points but hope the collect ability factor and ask for more. Good luck.

acfarmer

Big question is which tractor suits your needs the best a WD or the 616?Around my area a Power Max will outsell a WD every time as not many people want or can use a WD.Whether it has the rear PTO shaft is the deal maker/breaker as they alone go for $400-$500.With its Cat 0 rear 3pt hitch attachments can be had that aren't necessarily AC/Simplicity.And are you handy working on something like the 616 if you can do the work then its not nearly as much gamble buying a non runner as it is if you have to hire the work done.

SmilinSam

Take a jack and jack up the rear end and see if the drop housing bearings are shot. If the wheels are tight and dont wabble around they are probably OK. I had one once where there was a half inch of play in the bearings. You dont notice until the tractor is jacked up and the wheels are free to move around.

Driveshaft clutch bearings/stub shaft are also a frequently worn out part.

Rear PTO parts are frequently worn out or missing.

There is a couple of topics written in here somewhere that deal with what to look for. They are very detailed.

midnightpumpkin

Virtually all the bearings and seals in the Powermax are standard items available anywhere bearings are sold.

I have not found any parts to not be available. Sandy Lake Implement has a large stock of new and used parts. Joes Outdoor Power seems to part out quite a few Powermax's at reasonable prices. It's the engine parts that are harder to come by and pricy.

John U

dhardin

http://midsouth.cummins.com/wps/portal/midsouth/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hnd0cPE3MfAwMDv1ALA08TIxPfMAMvI4NgI_2CbEdFAH4yVGs!/?DwsContentId=6027

The first issues with parts is you need to go to Cummins, they own Onan. Onan/Cummins has a bad rap when it come to parts and destitution/availability.

So many are use to finding any small engine parts house and assuming they carrier Onan. Many do have access to some high usage/common parts form some of there parts houses. To get real hassle free parts for the horses mouth. Go direct to a distributer dealership. I deal with St Louis Mid-South distributer. They have in stock most all parts, But if they don't have the part for these older models they can drop ship you the part from there Texas main wear-house. Yes price can be high, but going direct you don't get the song and dance.