Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brettw

Abrupt halt

Brettw

We've all been there at one time or another, pushing snow or dirt, and our 1,000+ pound machines hit something that requires about twice that much weight to move. Well, "abrupt halt" does not properly convey what occurred when blowing snow this morning, helping out a new neighbor on a new to me driveway. The snow was light and I was moving at a fair pace that was most efficient for the blower operation. If geometry were to be used to describe this event, I do not believe I was off by more than a billionth of a degree of hitting a raised slab of concrete square on with the scraper blade of the blower, and I am quite sure they must have used an inverted scraper bar to form up this concrete when it was initially poured. It all fit that perfectly.Have you ever seen your teeth? Without looking in the mirror I mean? I have, and I am quite sure they were about 6" beyond my face. The (and I am not kidding on this) loaded and weighted rear AGs left the ground. My knees became firmly embedded in the hard cab; had they not I would most certainly be a eunuch at this point due to the dash tower. Were I to have ordered the air bag option for this tractor, it most certainly would have gone off. After wiping my lip prints off of the windshield, I was able to gather myself and continue on. Not two passes later, in a completely different part of this driveway, I did the same thing, only this time I only caught the right side of the blower scraper bar.I must admit I was impressed at the durability of these machines and this particular attachment. I as much as mumbled this to myself as I went back to work and across the street to one of my other neighbor's houses. I spoke a bit too soon. A few passes up the neighbor's driveway and trying to raise the blower and back up, I realize one side of the blower came loose from losing a pin. I backed up and one side of the blower didn't. So I get out and survey the issue. Wow. The belt is still on but inverted, and the housing was bent like no other. Yet the blower was still operating! So, off to the garage for some repairs, with some very delicate and highly precise alignment tools.

Gene Williams loss 2 047.JPG

Gene Williams loss 2 049.JPG

Precise alignment tools:

Gene Williams loss 2 050.JPG

Repaired:

Gene Williams loss 2 051.JPG

Back in business, but I will certainly take more care with this particular driveway in the future. What to do about the tractor being a few inches shorter I am not quite sure yet............

57e0576eca483_GeneWilliamsloss2047.JPG.8f2eb342f8f073e3e252f1ea45edbf68.JPG

57e0576eda12c_GeneWilliamsloss2049.JPG.3d3c14b2868c64b07367f69e93c0e972.JPG

57e0576ee958c_GeneWilliamsloss2050.JPG.fb9de13bbd6596fb7b17ecd7a71e7605.JPG

57e0576f8433f_GeneWilliamsloss2051.JPG.1c1be9861bda6feddf2f3f43f4af332d.JPG

SethL007

well sounds like it wasnt too good of a day however i will say i laughed until i was about crying when i read this post i can picture the whole ordeal (have been there myself)!! repair looks good!!

dirtmister16

i know how that feels, i sheared a few cheaper pins on the blower and blade. i love simplicity pins, but seems that he cheaper ones shear and that is kinda good in a way.

well, you learned a few things today then i guess. your don't get old as long as your learnin.

ngale65

oh, thank you for sharing, laughed so hard i cried, then had to read it out loud to my wife while she was cooking because she wanted to know why i was laughing so hard. I think its funny because most of us have been there to. :)

HubbardRA

Back about 4 years ago, we has an exceptionally snowy winter here in VA. I was helping a neighbor in his 80s by clearing his driveway. I was using my EF1D loader to move the 21 inches of snow off his driveway. I felt a sudden clunk and the loader kept on moving. I backed up and got off to see what it was. He had built a brick wall about 8 inches high on each side of his concrete driveway. What I saw was one of the walls actually laying in the ditch in about 3 pieces. I didn't break my tractor, I broke his driveway. Later that year, after it got warmer, I ended up re-laying the wall for him. Not a fun thing to have happen to you when you are just helping out a neighbor.

Talntedmrgreen

Ouch! It's super nice to have great operating equipment, but I've been on the short end of that straw a time or two.

Kinda why I stick to my place, and my place only, now. A nice gesture can turn against you in a hurry. The 'nice' neighbor we have here will blow everyone's drive with his Grasshopper/Blower combo, and he beat me to my drive last Saturday, while I watched through the picture window while feeding the baby. I have a 1" lip between my blacktop drive and the concrete pad that extends out from my garage. He smacked that baby HARD, and fell right out of his seat...he dropped onto the RH handle and I thought he was going to come through my garage door. He got things under control and kept at it...he did it again, on the next pass. I don't want to be that guy.

AC82

I feel for you, no good deed goes unpunished!

A town of about 150 which is about a mile down the road from me, pays my dad to plow their streets. He just uses a JD 4440 with 3 Pt rear blade.

A couple years ago we had an awful blizzard that dropped the most snow overnight I had ever seen at one time. By luck of the draw my folks were in Florida, so that left me to plow the streets.

I had to wait until mid morning before the county was able to open my road up enough to just get the tractor down. I drug and pushed snow all day and felt as if I got no where.

This is where my stress evolved.

I had cans thrown at me, people giving me the finger, and had one guy run out in front of me and climb up in the cab and start chewing my a:||.

All of this because the snow rolling off the blade would leave a ridge in front of their driveways.

I'm sorry that I was doing what I could, giving the once in a 100 year circumstances. And besides that I didn't HAVE to go, I did because I wanted to help!

dirtmister16
quote:Originally posted by AC82

I feel for you, no good deed goes unpunished!A town of about 150 which is about a mile down the road from me, pays my dad to plow their streets. He just uses a JD 4440 with 3 Pt rear blade.A couple years ago we had an awful blizzard that dropped the most snow overnight I had ever seen at one time. By luck of the draw my folks were in Florida, so that left me to plow the streets.I had to wait until mid morning before the county was able to open my road up enough to just get the tractor down. I drug and pushed snow all day and felt as if I got no where.This is where my stress evolved.I had cans thrown at me, people giving me the finger, and had one guy run out in front of me and climb up in the cab and start chewing my a:||.All of this because the snow rolling off the blade would leave a ridge in front of their driveways.I'm sorry that I was doing what I could, giving the once in a 100 year circumstances. And besides that I didn't HAVE to go, I did because I wanted to help!

id="quote">
id="quote">i know how that goes, a couple winters ago, we had new neighbor on our block, the old fella across the way from him had no where to put snow when i would plow its all uphill. so i plow straight across the street goes on the edge of the road and up on the lawn. now this is no differn't then the plow trucks tossing up up there when they come through. guy came up to me one day at home and asked me to not do that as it would make it his house leak( piles are at least 20' from his house) that and the plows arn't even through when i plow. i told him ok, but keep at it but id leave a pile out in the road for the plows to hit. he didn't like that either, i told him tough. not that i should put it in his lawn but that was a winter where we had the most snow in many years, where in the heck am i supposed go with it?

Brettw
quote:Might be a silly idea, but could you use shear pins where the mount pins to the tabs on the axle?id="quote">
id="quote">

In this case, shear pins at the location you speak of wouldn't help at all. There are four pins, two from the bracket to the front axle assembly, and two from the bracket to the blower head. The mounting bracket to the axle is designed to be right up against the axle, the pins simply hold it in place. Those pins don't get any load on them other than to keep the assembly in place and would never shear in the context we are speaking of.

The pins from the bracket to the blower head could be made to shear, but the damage after they would shear would be as bad or worse to the blower head, belt and pulley setup, etc., I would think. If only one pin were to shear, you would twist the whole assembly anyway and cause damage. I would be more concerned about the belt and rotating parts if the head were to come loose and move wherever. I think I was somewhat lucky in that I didn't cause major damage when the pin fell out, and that pin was from the bracket to the blower head, not one of the pins at the axle.

I think it just goes with the territory. It's built as tough as it is to withstand most of the use it is put through. I am sure the engineers think through all possible scenarios, and hitting something is part of that. I just happened to hammer it very hard, twice, and in one case on one side only. In all my years of blowing, I've never hit anything like that. All in all, I am still very impressed with the way this stuff is built. I would bet a newer big box cheapo tractor setup would have been junk.

perry

hit something dead stop in third gear wide open with blade on . those can hurt ya sm00

carefull guys, i have bad hips and hurt myself a few time getting my leg jammed back. i plow alot with my foot hanging off the side.

GrincheyOne
Originally posted by perry

hit something dead stop in third gear wide open with blade on . those can hurt ya sm00 carefull guys, i have bad hips and hurt myself a few time getting my leg jammed back. i plow alot with my foot hanging off the side.

id="size4">

Brettw

Well, apparently my repairs weren't quite spot on, alignment wise, or the belt on the blower took more abuse than I knew when it flipped over. Blew a belt tonight, so that's going to take some repairs. Tell your daughter sorry, Ron, but I went out of commission just before I got to her end of the block.

Ronald Hribar

I would not worry about my daughter Brett. Her husband is big enough to handle a shovel

I hit a sewer cover once with my 7120. It bent the whole snow blower.

MPH had the same problem about the same time and I followed his lead.

But snow blower was never the same

Brettw
quote:But snow blower was never the sameid="quote">
id="quote">

Well, we are up in Northern WI snowmobiling. Family weekend once a year and missing Bob's bull session in Butler. But before we left, I repaired the blower / belt so I could blow what was supposed to come while we were gone. I had hit a spot in the same suspect driveway again, even tough I was being more careful. It did tweak the blower a bit. I think now that it has been bent, and is not solid and straight as it should be it may be weak and prone to bend. I may have to start looking for a new blower head, or rebuild and reinforce this one over the summer.

Word has it someone in the neighborhood returned my favor and plowed me out. We'll see when we get back. 8D

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Rigger9020
    • locknut
    • fishnwiz
    • Mine19821
    • SmilinSam
    • MARK (LI)
  • Today's Birthdays

1. JoggerFogger
      JoggerFogger
      (48 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• MARK (LI)

MARK (LI)  »  Alltractoredup

...This is Mark from Long Island ....Gene told me that you are selling  FEL for a Sunstar....the link he sent me does not take me to it ...I am not on FB myself, but my wife is...is it just on the AC  / Simple group, or is it on the Marketplace?
      · 2 replies
    • F.U.N.

F.U.N.  »  sandyhillbill

Dear Sandhillbill
      Can you please copy me on this data, for Sun Star parts list.
      :
      September 12, 2004 Mike I sent you a PM and have all the mfgs. available for the tiller/hitch/pto/liftgroup if you need me to send them to you. Let me know. Thanks, F.U.N.    
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts