Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simple_4041_P-MAX

4041 Rear tire won't spin

Simple_4041_P-MAX

I just bought a 4041 Power Max and when we winched it up on to the trailer-only one tire spun-the other one just slid.... It has been sitting outside for 10 +/- years and it's in the 20's right now here in Ohio so I was wondering if water could have gotten in some where and froze? When you're looking at the tractor from the rear, the right tire is stuck and the left one will spin freely. The transmission goes in to gear and out of gear fine... What am I missing here? Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks, Dan!

midnightpumpkin

Dan,

First off, welcome to the club.

I bought one last spring that had the same problem. The brake disks were badly rusted, essentially the brake was locked up on one side.

You have to pull the drop box and axle extension housing to get to the brakes. It is then a matter of freeing up rusty parts. I suggest disassembling the brake disks completely and sand blasting all the parts.

While you are at it, check the lower axles for up down movement. Do this with the tractor jacked up and the wheels on. One of mine had a bad bearing due to water in the drop box where gear lube is supposed to be. It is almost certain that the drop have some water in them, if the bearings seem ok, just drain the drop boxes and re-fill with 90W gear oil.

Another thing to check when you have the brakes apart, is for wear on the upper axle shaft, that plugs into the differential. The splines on the differential end of those shafts tend to wear to the point of failure. I have some new and used shafts if you find a problem there.

BTW do you have the Powermax Repair Manual?? If not PM me.

Good luck,

John U

Simple_4041_P-MAX

Thank you for such a fast response! I figured it may have something to do with the brakes. I will get it torn down and let you know what I find. Thank you very much John!

Simple_4041_P-MAX

Update: It warmed up today and when I went to roll the tractor it actually rolled freely and I was able to push it off the trailer. Thanks again to everybody who responded! Dan

isetta

Guys, is there an easy way to tell if the brakes are rusty / frozen without disassembly? I have a 9020 with left rear that won't turn. It will rotate slightly but not turn, it's 78 degrees out so no ice in the drop box. As many here have said I don't use the brakes on my 4041 and would rather not pull the thing apart if I could get it freed up some other way.

PGL

The easiet way may be to take it apart and see what the problem(s) might be. Did it freeze up all at once or gradually? Note there are a number of things that may be wrong per the above posts and you can check everything at once. It's also likely you'll get more responses with a new post than adding to an old one.

isetta

Thanks PGL, I just bought the tractor as a non runner. It sat outside so I suspect rusty brake unit. Also appreciate your advice on starting a new post. I am new to the forum, thanks for your help.