Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rick3410

Simplicity 885 42" mower deck restoration

Rick3410

I need to remove the main drive pulley (center pulley that drives the entire unit) and there are three 3/8" bolts holding it on. What type of socket do I need to remove these? I appreciate any help I can get.

Rick3410

These three bolts are not hex heads. The manual lists them as "3/8"-16 x 1-3/4, Taptite, washerhead, screw". They resemble torx style. Someone out there must have removed these to rebuild arbors?

RayS

Sounds like someone removed yours in the past. The manual is correct. I have removed quite a few of them. Do you have a picture of yours? Are they 12 point style head? The originals were definitely 3/8" hex head bolts like listed in parts manual.

Rick3410

I think I found the answer. Looks like they require an external torx socket to remove them. Now to find the size - the ones I see for sale are identified in "E" sizes (example: E-12 or E-14). Are these bolts original to the deck or do I have something that was modified sometime in the past?

Rick3410

Good information. Thanks! So, how bad can a spindle be and still be functional? The two outer spindles have no wobble at all and are very tight. The center spindle has a little wobble. When I say little, I mean I can feel a little play when I move it back and forth, side to side. Is this something I can wait until next winter to rebuild? I've been rebuilding my tractor and got this deck with a parts machine. With everything I've spent bringing the tractor up to snuff, I'd like to wait until next winter to properly restore the mower deck if I can. Purely a question of funding. If I go easy on the thing, do you think it will last the season? I'm a newbie with Simplicity, however, I've restored many vintage cars and John Deere tractors. I really appreciate this forum and the advice you guys provide.