Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 885 42" mower deck restoration

Rick3410

I need to remove the main drive pulley (center pulley that drives the entire unit) and there are three 3/8" bolts holding it on. What type of socket do I need to remove these? I appreciate any help I can get.

These three bolts are not hex heads. The manual lists them as "3/8"-16 x 1-3/4, Taptite, washerhead, screw". They resemble torx style. Someone out there must have removed these to rebuild arbors?

Sounds like someone removed yours in the past. The manual is correct. I have removed quite a few of them. Do you have a picture of yours? Are they 12 point style head? The originals were definitely 3/8" hex head bolts like listed in parts manual.

I think I found the answer. Looks like they require an external torx socket to remove them. Now to find the size - the ones I see for sale are identified in "E" sizes (example: E-12 or E-14). Are these bolts original to the deck or do I have something that was modified sometime in the past?

Thanks for your help. It seemed odd to me that these were the only place on the entire tractor that used external torx head bolts. I'll change them back to original.

You wanna change them anyway, you might be able to get them with good vice grips, rather than buy a socket or find one to rent / borrow

When you replace them, make sure you get a grade 5 or grade 8 type of bolt. The 3 bolts on my center pulley sheered off, because i got the cheap Grade 2.

Good information. Thanks! So, how bad can a spindle be and still be functional? The two outer spindles have no wobble at all and are very tight. The center spindle has a little wobble. When I say little, I mean I can feel a little play when I move it back and forth, side to side. Is this something I can wait until next winter to rebuild? I've been rebuilding my tractor and got this deck with a parts machine. With everything I've spent bringing the tractor up to snuff, I'd like to wait until next winter to properly restore the mower deck if I can. Purely a question of funding. If I go easy on the thing, do you think it will last the season? I'm a newbie with Simplicity, however, I've restored many vintage cars and John Deere tractors. I really appreciate this forum and the advice you guys provide.