Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sb64

728 Rear axle problem

sb64

On the back of the 728, the rims and the axle shafts have a hole drilled through them. The hole through the rims on mine are worn down alot. Theirs only about 1" of steel left, before it becomes a full circle! Could i drill another hole in the rims? I had an idea of welding 3/8" grade 8 washers to it over the pre-worn holes. Any tips would help at this point. Sorry i can't post pictures.

kilalove21

mine weren't worn that bad but i drilled a 7/16" hole and through bolted them tight. haven't had any problem with them since. welding a washer might help out some since yours are so worn.

TomSchmit

Yes, welding a patch (or a sleeve) and drilling a new hole

works well on these wheels. Using a bolt and nut (tightened up)

will help to stop it from wearing more.

Tom

RayS

If you can find a 3/8" diameter piece of brass rod to stick through both holes, you can weld around the brass and build it back up and take out the slop. This would harden it some as well.

sb64

thanks, i'm going to tractor supply pretty soon, so i'll bring one axle shaft with me. Hopefully they'll have a big enough pipe that is thick enough. Thanks for the quick responce

Brettw

I took a piece of 1"? pipe (as I recall it was 1", or maybe 1-1/4") which slipped barely over the existing wheel, like a full length sleeve. I then cut it to length, then, length wise one cut with a Sawzall. Took a heavy hammer and tightened it up so it was snug. When I bolted through and cranked it tight it then really compressed. It worked well, and no welding required. However, the same concept welded would be best.