Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
motorman12157

hydro trans conversion from hand to foot??

motorman12157

Has anyone done a conversion for a hydro transmission? Can you convert a hand controlled setup to a foot controlled setup? Im thinking of trying it so when i get my loader built ill have a easier time using the lift controls and keep a hand on the steering wheel. just a thought...thinking out loud.;)

TimJr

That would be sweet. I have pondered it for a moment, then realized I had other things to do. To do it right - to have a good return-to-neutral set up etc, it would be pretty involved with how our linkages are set up on the 7000/7100 frame. It would be much nicer to operate. That's the one thing I like about more modern JD tractors - the hydro pedals. Tim

motorman12157

This would be on my deutz allis 916H. I think it would be a lot of fun trying to get it done. I think i may also try to keep the original handle and just make it so i could disable it while im using the foot pedal. Again, just thinking out loud.

rokon2813

It has been done, can't recall who.

I think it was jumpy, but worked well otherwise.

If I recall it was done on a foot dragger, but shouldn't be much difference, other than a little more room to work on a Running board tractor.

MysTiK

Methinks it would be a major redesign. I had a broken hydro stick. I discovered there's a much shorter hydro stick underneath. That would tend to make it hyper - heck it's already hyper.

I also discovered the Sundstrand defaults to full reverse - when the hydro stick is disconnected /broken. (that was how I got my tractor home, in reverse)

So, yes, the return to neutral is not natural - plus people are always making neutral adjustments due to slight reverse creep/forward creep. And that adjustment is very sensitive.

So, it seems there's some dangerous characteristics to contend with - considering, if your foot hits the pedal, the world will change in a hurry - not good with a loader /loaded /at the top. 8)

Brainstorm - thinking applying principles of power steering - no I have NOT thought this through - it's just a brainstorm idea. Any approach would need to effectively gear down the sensitivity. /or utilize entirely different control system.

A kill switch might be in order also.

just my thoughts sm01

I heard of one person here did it; but would not let anyone else drive it. 8)

motorman12157

yes like i said im just thinking out loud. it would be a trial and hopefully not to much of the error part. I think it would be hard to control the steering, control valves and the forward/reverse also. just the help of the foot control makes alot of sense.

MysTiK

Golf course machines use "hydraulic drive motors". Don't know much about those either. But that's a whole new set of characteristics.

I saved a thread for some other forum - foot pedal on a WHorse. An interesting, but long, read.

If you're interested:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/30880-custom-hydro-foot-pedal/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/36496-custom-hydro-foot-pedal-kit-complete-kits-now-for-sale/

MysTiK
quote:Originally posted by motorman12157

yes like i said im just thinking out loud. it would be a trial and hopefully not to much of the error part. I think it would be hard to control the steering, control valves and the forward/reverse also. just the help of the foot control makes alot of sense.

id="quote">
id="quote">Nothing wrong w thinking out loud. I call it brainstorming; and you never know where some seemingly crazy ideas can go. If a hundred people offered crazy ideas; one of them might be the golden egg. :D It's kinda what 'think tanks' are all about. If you know all the "what's built in" part of the hydro, then the possibilities increase. It's been done on other machines. It's likely doable - it might just take some radical thinking and a bucket full of money. Getting it there, it can be refined - revision 2, version 7 - ?? etc.

JimDk

Kenneth,Here is my hydro Landlord with left foot controlled Sundstrand. I did it to see if it could be done. Would I do it again? Probably not. It does work, and as Dan noted, it is a bit abrupt. It's usable with caution. It might work fine with a loader. I added a few pictures to give you an idea how I built it. I have many other pictures if you decide to procede. Here is a mock-up before paint. The left footrest is still there. It was removed later.

LINKAGErs.jpg

A front view showing the cross shaft.

2814rs.jpg

The rocker style foot pedal during mock-up.

2850rs.jpg

A close-up showing the congestion with the hydraulic cylinder, and driveshaft.

2944rs.jpg

Here I am tilling with the tractor.

Tilling051011.jpg

LINKAGErs.jpg.447ead160549f50341b193654d852fee.jpg

2814rs.jpg.22ee30d2a1cce35d2f00a1f62b53f58a.jpg

2850rs.jpg.79815858cbeeb969c58e97143e17a117.jpg

2944rs.jpg.112ba8b4dd6e34628b96b5020fd6f6d4.jpg

Tilling051011.jpg.8270f73fa85786ffef21a56e31be27da.jpg

rokon2813

Jim' just curious. Did you ever try putting your rod in the lower hole on the pivot shaft bracket??

It would seem to me, a shorter pivot arm would require more pedal travel to move the linkage the same distance and maybe make it a little less sensitive??

huffy
quote:It would seem to me, a shorter pivot arm would require more pedal travel to move the linkage the same distance and maybe make it a little less sensitive??

id="quote">
id="quote">

Or perhaps adding a damper?

JimDk

Dan,

Your memory is fine.

To answer your question: no, I have not tried it in the lower hole. You are correct about the lower hole requiring more pedal travel, but I would lose full forward and reverse at the transmission end.

I can just barely access full travel as I have it set up now. My old ankles only bend so far.wah I'm sure with some more experimentation I could make it better. I consider the tractor as a "work in progress", but I needed to get away from it for a while. I have a plan to modify a set of original style fenders to give it more of an original look. More importantly, I have NOT installed "return to center" springs, which I plan to do. That is a real safety concern.

It would be great if one of the young members would pick up where I left off and improve on the idea. It would be handy, especially for a loader.

RickS

Him,

I have a Legacy with a foot control and it is very handy. Trying to steer, raise the blower and adjust the spout your hands get very busy so the foot control gets very handy.

I have also used my friends Kubota with a loader; and the foot control is great. Between steering and adjusting the loader your hands never stay still.

I hope someone can improve on your design.

Rick........

rich_kildow

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123623

Here's a large frame with an FEL and foot control that I was contemplating for a while. The current owner didn't do the conversion, but I believe he still has it and seemed like a nice enough guy. Might want to contact him and see if he would send you some close up pictures of how it is built. Might as well get some of that loader and subframe while you're at it...and then you should post them here!

AC82

Just a thought that crossed my mind...I realize that the newer simplicitys with vertical engines are built totally different (Like My Landlord DLX) I have saw some of the lower horsepower ones without power steering sell pretty cheap. I wonder if a guy could build a sub frame and idler pulley set up off the BGB and mount the newer hydro-trans in. Then use the Landlord's foot pedal controls also. I just don't know how you could get the vertical pulley on the BGB to belt up to the horizontal pulley on the later rear end.

MikeES

I saw a 1990s 918H at a dealership with a foot controlled hydro. I did not get to operate it, but the salesman said it was installed by the previous owner and it worked good, but they were thinking of removing and putting back the hand lever, because it was not factory, and thought it may be harder to sell with the foot control. It was a rocker type pedal, and it looked like it pivoted through the same hole in the chassis as the hand lever does (so it wasn't in a natural spot for your foot). It had a mower deck on so I did not get underneath to see how it was done.

I have foot control on my Kubota and it is great not only for FEL work but for all work.

Talntedmrgreen

I would love to do this on the 3212H. I was thinking that routing it using cable would be easier to negotiate, and would allow adjustable length for pedal travel. Also, would two separate pedals for Fwd and Rev be preferred to one rocking pedal?

JimDk

Josh,

I'll throw in my 2 cents, value accordingly.

You could use a cable, and it would be easier to route to the transmission. One way to gain adjustability would be to add an intermediate lever system to add, or subtract, distance needed to

smoothly operate the hydro. A hydraulic master/slave system may also be an option. I considered both these options when building my LL, but took the easy way out.

I'm thinking that your 3212H would have a Vickers, and given that the Vickers is a smoother operating unit, you might have a better rig for foot control. Jump in and try it.dOd

Talntedmrgreen
quote:Originally posted by JimDk

I'm thinking that your 3212H would have a Vickers, and given that the Vickers is a smoother operating unit, you might have a better rig for foot control. Jump in and try it.dOd

id="quote">
id="quote">Yeah, the Vickers would be an ideal candidate, it's extremely smooth. I really like the split pedal idea, but then again, with the loader on, there is barely room for a boot, much less two pedals, unless they were on opposing sides of the tractor.

JimDk

I kept my original clutch/brake in place on the right side. Believe me, I have used it a few time, read "PANIC SITUATION". After 25 years of Allis/Simplicity clutch on the right, it seems wrong to control speed and direction with my left foot, but it can be done.

Who said you can't teach an old dog, new tricks?

I like Ron's idea of a chain system. This is what I hoped for. Some real brain storming for new ideas.

Talntedmrgreen

I like the chain idea too. With cables I was thinking of routing and wrapping them over small pulleys, almost cam-style, simply becuse you can change direction at any angle. If there's a straight shot through the tunnel, I would like chain better.