Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Throttle will not stay at full speed

Kenh

I'm sure this has been discussed before and i tried a search but evidently my search skills need a "tuneup":)

The throttle on my 7119 will not stay a full speed unless I hold it there. I assume there is some type of adjustment to give it more friction. Is this adjustment on the inside of the dash, behind the fuel tank?

Thanks

Ken

Ken,

I have a spare entire console with the throttle assembly and just checked to be sure.

There is an interference nut (you can tell them because they are stamped with a rectangular indent) which preloads the tension on the throttle lever.

I am just saying, but I would not assume that is the problem, unless side slop is evident as these nuts do not easily loosen up. The throttle lever normally feels very secure, with no side play. If the throttle lever has side slop and seems loose, that would be your problem

If the throttle lever is not "sloppy", I might suggest starting on the other end and check the termination connection of the throttle cable as well as check the length of the cable itself for damage.

You mentioned limits to your searches. For $10 you can become a member of this club, which greatly expands your access and promotes you to formal membership in a finest kind garden tractor club for the owners of Simplicity and Alis Chalmers garden tractors.

quote:Originally posted by goatfarmer

I think there is a nut on the backside of the throttle lever you can tighten, so it stays in place.

id="quote">
id="quote">Or the two nylon washers are shot, common problem.

quote:Originally posted by rsnik

Ken,You mentioned limits to your searches. For $10 you can become a member of this club, which greatly expands your access and promotes you to formal membership in a finest kind garden tractor club for the owners of Simplicity and Alis Chalmers garden tractors.

id="quote">
id="quote">LOL It's going to take more than $10 to make me a better "searcher" LOL I have this problem no matter which forum I happen be be browsing on. LOL:DThe lever doesn't have much if any slop but it does seem to move too easily. I just had the carb off and the cable housings are all tight. I'm guessing a 1/6 turn of the tension nut will fix things right up.Thank youKen

If I'm not mistaken, you can slide the open end of a long 9/16 wrench right along the tank and hit that nut without taking anything apart.

Hold the wrench still and turn the throttle to tighten :D:D

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Hold the wrench still and turn the throttle to tighten :D:D

id="quote">
id="quote">I was thinking I should hold the wrench still and turn the whole tractor............;);)