Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Honing a cylinder

sb64

When i get home, i'm going to hone out my cylinder. I'm not over sizing, and i have the Fine stones. Do i need to have the cylinder wet?

Thanks

i used a heavy penetrant oil when i did mine. after you clean it, wash it with soap and water. that's what i was told for what it's worth.

Technically, special honing oil should be used. Honing oil is designed for cutting.

The finer stones are good for removing scratches, and not removing stock.

Truth is, for your application, the thinner the oil the better, and in a pinch, if engine oil is what you have laying around, it is better to use it than not.

Happy honing!!

dry honing removes more material than wet honing. if you are trying to remove ridges or scratches, start dry honing, then go to wet. if you are just polishing the bore, go wet

I always used transmission fluid. I was told that it would wash the honing debris best. Then hot soapy water to clean the cylider with.

Honing just to have a polished cylinder will only make you feel better and greatly increase the chance of loosing compression, IF you don't change/install new rings. The old rings have got use to the marked cylinder. If you hone it the old rings are not going match this new surface. You could end up burning oil and or less compression.

quote:Originally posted by dhardin

Honing just to have a polished cylinder will only make you feel better and greatly increase the chance of loosing compression, IF you don't change/install new rings. The old rings have got use to the marked cylinder. If you hone it the old rings are not going match this new surface. You could end up burning oil and or less compression.

id="quote">
id="quote">So you would just install a new set of STANDARD stock oem rings?

Thats is what I call a poor mans rebuild. Better than nothing if it is running good now but shows some signs of wear. A light honing and standard rings will not be a total waste of time. BUT a complete thrall cylinder evaluation is really needed. If there is a excessive amount of top rig groove (First good sign of heavy wear) You must cut this top rig out before removing the old piston. Never do rings with cutting any top ridge out. You will be wasting your time if you don't. Second check for cylinder wear in 3 places (top, middle and bottom) of the cylinder. Also on the thrust side of the cylinder for out of round.

If there is a slight rig ring and less than 2 or 3 thousands of cylinder wear any where along the cylinder. Go on and cut the rig and light hone and new standard rings can be a successful procedure. But basically the motor has a lot of life left in it the way it is now, some will argue Why fix something that is working good now?

One more point, if the cylinder checks out good and all you have is a sight small marks in the cylinder it is wise to check the choke and throttle shafts and if the carb to block is tight or a poorly fitting or old and dirty air filter. The main reason for a marked up cylinder is dirt being sucked into the carb/cylinder.