Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

allis 920

jboehler

bought a 920 diesel smokes when first starts but after it warms up still smokes some but then it starts to drip oil out of the exhaust cleaned out fins,engine has around 800 hours on it

1st off...Welcome to the club.

I also recently came into a diesel 7790. I think almost all of these tractors smoke on start up so if it stops after it warms up, you are ok on that front. Regarding the oil drips, I cannot answer to that issue but I am sure that someone will be along shortly to answer your questions. Again, welcome to the club and I can tell you that we all enjoy any and all pics that you may have to share with us with regards to your tractors or tractor related topics.

Fishnwiz

The best way to handle your situation is to have the garden tractor tow something that has brakes on it. Have the tractor driver set the tractor to full stroke on hydro lever and WOT the guy in the towed vehicle will tap the brakes 'til the tractor starts to bog down and then backs off to where tractor is doing a hard pull. That will cause engine to really get hot and burn off the the oily residue and whats more it will reseat the rings. Oh, yes forgot to mention, will that burn off process is happening it might look like you're driving something thats on fire, but the smoke will decrease, I guarantee. And hopefully you have eliminated any engine damage. 800 hrs equates to 28,00 car miles.

B 4 anything starts, make sure cooling system is not fouled, ie gunk and grass clippings in cooling fins. Read 427435's thread below.id="red">id="size4">

Maynard, claimed he had 5,000 on his. Hard to say without an hour meter. He told me it was more of a guesstimate. That he used it for snow blowing only. The fins had never got caked with chafe because he never mowed with it and I am sure that is what resulted in the high amount of hours.

It is hard to say. It would depend entirely on how well it was taken care of. There is a guy on another site that changed his rings at 2700 hours and it was caked with chafe.

I have seen a Grasshopper at a local dealer with more hours than that. It had a Kubota diesel. Kubota an Yanmar are King of small deisels though.

If you need the parts, owners, operators and service manual let me know. I have them all on pdf file that I can send to you in an email.

Parts are extremely expensive for these compared to gas engines and it is because of them coming from Europe.

I will also post a link to a website that you can get parts at a cheaper price in the U.S. also you can get stuff at less than half price on Italy eBay.

The link below you can get the parts cheaper. You have to remove the dot or period out of the number when searching on their site or it won`t work. Kohler also owns Lombardini and a authorized Kohler can get parts as well.

My local Kohler dealer told me he couldn't get parts, but after I called Kohler in Wisconsin and they called the dealer they found out otherwise.

http://www.m-and-d.com/index.html?id=LV8qge6h

Mark you ask a loaded question and my only answer is, it is on appliction and maintence. There are 350 ton mine trucks (2750 HP) in the UP that are working roughly 23 hrs a day 6-1/2 days a week, doing 45 min pull up hill using all that HP to get to the crusher and then maybe a 30 min down hill coasting so to speak back back the hole. They do that fot 2-3 weeks and the are rotated up to the rim to haul tailings from the crusher to the waste area. That HP demand is a lot less. With that in mind they life to overhaul is around 18,000 hours or every 2-1/2 years. That's about 630,000 highway miles. I would think garden tractoor should get at least 5000 hrs during their lifetime. I am going out on the limb saying that most garden tractor don't do more then 5 hrs a week. My 7116 has a functioning hour meter that only shows 2300 hrs and that is almost a 30 year old machine. And sometine the engine stops, I forget it and the hour meter ticks.:D

Thanks guys, I should have been a little more specific and said small hp diesel engines but you answered my question anyways.

I NEVER would have thought about Ebay Italy...Thats a VERY interesting idea. I wonder if they have a Craigs List? :D

Mark, my former life and what I am holding up is what goes the mine truck. For roughly $400,000.00, give or take, you too can repower your 7790.:D:D

16v4000.JPG

While wet stacking is a possibility, it is hard to "work" a 7790 at 70% very long without doing something like towing a car with brakes applied. Even rotor tilling won't do it. Nor will snowblowing keep it loaded for more than a little while.I would suggest that the OP pull the shrouds off his engine and check for clogging. The original owner didn't keep the grass clipping out and this is what happened.

DSCN1030.jpg

Note in particular the oil ring on the right!!! The engine overheated and the oil rings lost their temper and wore away.

Thanks guys will try to give it a hard work out and try some fuel additive and see if it helps it,also my tractor is missing the factory muffler does anyone know were to get one.

You may want to try the link in Ray's above post...I would think that the muffler may be the one think you can get local and hopefully at a decent price.

Best of luck, Wiz

What I get from the above posts is the fact that its hard to really get enough load on these small diesel engines to really get them to run their best with everyday use? Seems wierd that they would even bother with an engine this size in these small garden tractors. Now I have to pull my girlfriends car around my yard for a few mins before I cut my lawn?:D

These motors are 18.5 hp. You here all kinds of stories that the hp was under rated at the time they were brought into the country to get past the EPA and so on.

My dealer says he has dyno tested them at 23hp. I know if you compare the hp and torque curve to a Kohler Command 18 and a Honda GX620. According to the manuals those two motors have more power.

Hard to say. I know it is wise to where ear plugs and pray you don`t have to buy to many parts.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

What I get from the above posts is the fact that its hard to really get enough load on these small diesel engines to really get them to run their best with everyday use? Seems wierd that they would even bother with an engine this size in these small garden tractors. Now I have to pull my girlfriends car around my yard for a few mins before I cut my lawn?:D

id="quote">
id="quote">Mark mowing tall grass might do also, how much is a guess. If the pipe don't drip and you get minumal exhaust (black) smoke on a hard pull, you should be fine .

No black smoke at all in the limited amount I have run my tractor. Last time out it was about 35 degrees and I did have a fair amount of blue smoke that did subside some after 30 min whereas in the summer, it seemed to stop smoking after a short while.

Originally posted by BLT
quote:
id="quote">I wonder how the power curves look at a reduced rpm------say 2500? It seems like my 7790 does a lot better job of handling a load at a reduced rpm than my 2 Kohler powered tractors.

kohtor.jpg

The kohler CH18 produces 32.2Ft. lbs at 2200 RPMThe Kohler CH20 produces 32.7ft. LBS at 2400 RPM

lomtorq.jpg

The lombardini produces 29.7 FT. LBS at 2400

hontorq.jpg

The Honda values are above and may be propane or gas. I would have to check into that to make sure.I have all three engines in Sovereigns or 7100 - 900 series tractors. I like the diesel and a set of ear plugs:D. It is a rare two - three year produced tractor. It is expensive if you have to buy parts. They are cheaper by far in Europe. One part can make it cheaper to re power. Starter for example is $821.00 from Simplicity and about $250.00 on eBay. They are a money pit or can be real quick.The kohler and Honda are by far cheaper to buy parts for. They are quieter. Parts are more abundant and still available. Torques are better than the diesel but not by much.

kohtor.jpg.c442dd81b57b20353bc0c2b9117e903f.jpg

lomtorq.jpg.d0a48bc8a64df45e428f0f8b2e876281.jpg

hontorq.jpg.4564c75671226f08f34092fcf22c93b5.jpg