Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Paint. Amount and cost.

RandyBuxton

I paid a visit to my local PPG paint shop. Looking at the Omni AU line. I will paint my B10, plow, tiller, and possibly a wagon. I got a quote for one gallon of epoxy primer, one gallon of yellow paint ($212), a couple quarts of reducer, one gallon of clear coat. Might have been one more thing... catalyst? Tallied up to $600 and change.

I believe this to be some good stuff from what I've read. My question is 1) Is this a proper amount of primer, paint, and clear coat for the pieces I've listed? and 2) Is the price reasonable when compared to lesser priced/quality material (a matter of opinion, of course)

Thanks

X2 on the Vansickle. I spoke with them extensively, and they were very forthright with me. They custom matched my Squire paint, and were easy to work with. I got that gallon of paint, shipped to a local TISCO dealer, for $80 and change. Per their approval for compatibility, I used Valspar hardener, by the hardener's instructions (16:1). They also urged me not to worry about a clear coat, as the likelihood of it crinkling was higher than the likelihood of their paint with hardener looking flat or fading.

My paint has a nice shine and (per request) a heavier amount of metal flake. It was easy to use, and very reasonable, IMO. I repainted an entire tractor restoration, and a Carryall, and still considering some waste (was my first spray gun job) I have a half gallon left over. I cannot imagine a more durable finish.

$600 to paint a garden tractor? Why are you looking at the Urethane paint? Acrylic enamel is all you need. I bought quite a bit of OMNI products for under $100 total when they still offered the acrylic enamel. Now PPG's "value" acrylic enamel is called "Shopline." You should be able to paint your tractor for around $100 or less. What I have read on the AG tractor forums and heard from my customers, is that alkyd enamels do not have good fade resistance or long term durability. Van Sickle is an alkyd enamel. I also fail to see why you would need an entire gallon of clearcoat. All you really need to clear is the hood, fenders, and maybe frame. I would think the highly visible areas can probably be done with a quart or less.

I haven't bought the Omni stuff yet. Still having a hard time rationalizing that much money to paint my tractor. I've also read about the alkyd enamel so that leave Van Sickle and the like out for me. So any suggestions where to buy yellow and cream acrylic enamel paint for this project? I'm half way into the cleaning up phase before the sandblasting. Maybe three or four days and I'll be ready to prime.Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

$600 to paint a garden tractor? Why are you looking at the Urethane paint? Acrylic enamel is all you need. I bought quite a bit of OMNI products for under $100 total when they still offered the acrylic enamel. Now PPG's "value" acrylic enamel is called "Shopline." You should be able to paint your tractor for around $100 or less. What I have read on the AG tractor forums and heard from my customers, is that alkyd enamels do not have good fade resistance or long term durability. Van Sickle is an alkyd enamel. I also fail to see why you would need an entire gallon of clearcoat. All you really need to clear is the hood, fenders, and maybe frame. I would think the highly visible areas can probably be done with a quart or less.

id="quote">
id="quote">

For the wheels I would just use spraycans off the shelf. You will have a hard time getting a spray gun in the tight areas where the wheel flange is welded in. There are many opinons of which color white to use. Some like rustoleum canvas white, some use whimbeldon white (a ford color). I was using Ivory from painters touch but they discontinued the paint before I finished the job. I guess I need to finish my restorations fasther than the 7+ years it has been taking me. Also for the PPG, shop around. I have found up to a 50 percent difference in retail price from one dealer to another.

I'll have to investigate the OMNI some time as well, if it's that a quality, inexpensive option. Despite the time and care I took in my first restoration, I felt bad pumping the paint $$ into it that I did (acrylic). I slept much easier with the more modest cost of the VanSickle product. Plus, it looks 10X better. I could never drop hundreds on GT paint, considering what they are. If I was into a $5000 AG restoration, it would be a different story.

The alkyd will fade with UV exposure. If you're planning to leave your restored tractors outdoors, I'd nix it as an option as well. Also, certain colors are affected moreso than others by UV exposure. Yellow is one of the slowest to fade, and fading can be avoided inexpensively by protecting the finish with wax. The fading stories you read online are IH red's and Deere greens, in AG tractor applications where the machines sit outdoors. It seems 5-6 years is the norm before fading is apparent, with 24/7/365 exposure. I doubt that applies to too many folks here, who have the desire to strip a machine and redo it, to the extent that they are worried about paint quality.

My restored GT's are perhaps seeing light outdoor work around the house (play), and 2-3 full days out in the sun at a show each year (if I'm SUPER lucky). At that rate, it will take decades to show any sort of fading. I'm willing to bet that 20 years from now, my Squire will show substantial wear and tear from use, and any fading that may occur would be unnoticeable.

I really have to give a thumbs up to VanSickle...the product was great to work with, the cost was low, and the service was among the best I've ever experienced. I had never monkeyed with paint before, but caught wind that they would color match at no charge, and that I had a semi-retired TISCO dealer up the road from home. With a phone call, I was dealing directly with Dave Van Eck, their general manager. They sent me several actual paint mix samples, with varying amounts of metal flake, etc. Heck, they even sent me a t-shirt.

I have painted entire cars with less tahn half a gallon of paint and primer each. Remeber when you have a quart of paint it can almost double by the time you add reducer and other addatives to it..... a gallon is way too much....

Also, I love PPG paints. Very easy to use.

I have used

AG yellow (450)

New Cat yellow (468)

A C Orange (453)

JI Case Powder white (452)

Satin Black (463)

The Ag yellow was OK but i little light, I painted my skid steer cat yellow and loved it, so the next Allis was cat yellow and I still think I like it better than the other yellows.

All wheels and ascents go powder white so all wheels are interchangeable.

Adding the hardener/catalyst really adds to the shine, even when using the stain black so be advised. It dose take a while to dry completely so be patient. I think it is the Naphtha I use for thiner that slows the drying time. I don't thin as much as some do, my spray gun is gravity feed so it can lay out a heaver coat.

One quart should do a average tractor.

When not adding to much thiner but just enough to get it to work well in the gun I have never had any problems with runs. It is easy to over thin and fight runs. A lot like Van sickles and other hand/raddle spray cans, It is to thin. I have used many other brands of auto paints but when I started using Van Sickle I love how it lays out so flat and never get any orange peal look when finished. It just bonds and lays flater than any paint i have used.

I would go with Van Sickle paint. I have had good luck with it even in spray cans, lasts better than Rust O leum. It sticks well and does not clog the spray tip.

I will call Van Sickle on Tuesday. Do you use the alkyd or acrylic enamel? And what is a ballpark price for a gallon? My thoughts now, after researching and pricing this and that paint, is to go with the Van Sickle acrylic enamel with a hardener, no clear coat. Looking at the Van Sickle website I can't figure out their correct color code for late B10 yellow. Anyone know? I'd imagine I could get the answer by calling the company but they're not open and I'm typing right now!Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by LesH

I would go with Van Sickle paint. I have had good luck with it even in spray cans, lasts better than Rust O leum. It sticks well and does not clog the spray tip.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Other places handle Van Sickle too. Orcheln's Farm and Home sells it here. Their staff is clueless. I asked about special ordering paint several years ago and even though they had the "special order" sign on the shelf, even the manager wasn't interested in helping me.

I like Valsar from an OEM dealer. Their paint dries to the touch fast so that you can handle it alot faster. Goes on great as well. I know they don`t have the correct yellow.

The JD paint is Valspar paint and costrction yellow, I am told is a real close match. The Hustler mowers use Valspar as well and is a close match.

Seems like most or all the OEM`s are using Valspar.

Randy below is a link to a paint post I made last yr...

For my B210 and now my B12 project I'm using the rattle can favorites;

Rustoleum Enamel "Old Catterpillar Yellow" (for AC Yellow)

Rustoleum Enamel "Canvas White" (for wheels, etc)

Ace premium Enamel "Orange" (for Simplicity Orange)

BUT...I'm WAY too cheap to spend more on the paint than the tractor :D

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119544

I now have a paint gun and found these paints are avail. in Qts also...

• 2 months later...

Since this will be my first spray job, you guys are making the van sickle look pretty good. I was looking on their website and I see they offer a acrylic and a alkyd enamel. I was just wondering which one you guys were using. From what I have been reading, they say acrylic is diffucult to work with for the beginner. And since this tractor will not be a daily user, I dont think fading will be a big issue. I just want something that is hard, durable, and is compatible with a amateur painter. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Damon