Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 stage blower

jmcj10

I have a AC 917 and 916 and am wondering if there is a way to hook up a 2 stage blower to it. We get heavy and wetter snow here and the single stage just does not cut it.

After using a 2 stage blower I'd never fool with a single stage again.

The snowblowers that were sold with the Ariens HT models looks like they could be adapted to your tractors without too much trouble they are 40" wide.I have a 48" wide model that is the same except width on an Ariens GT 18 and it works great in all types of snow.Its shaft driven so wouldn't adapt very well on your Simplicity.

I think the 36" works better than the 42" at throwing distance. I have both for over 10 years now. The single stage works great. They might not throw it into the next county on the rare occasion when we get some snow, but they do get it out of the drive way.

I cleaned my curb lane heavy wet, not sloppy, Thursday and I was impressed the way the single stage handled it. I only needed to blow it six feet beyond the curb. It plugged once when the RPM went down. I'll admit to a crawl but the snowblower won't handle any more. I be happy camper.:D:D:D

My 42" throws 30 feet, I would guess. I believe it throws better than my JD 48" single stage.

Top end RPMs need to be dialed in properly for maximum distance. I had this problem with my JD a couple years ago. It turned out I was running about 2500 rpm at WOT. That doesn't cut it.

Per Bob's post, another nice thing about the single stage is the ability to handle the march snowfalls - heavy, sloppy stuff.

quote:Originally posted by mike_sdak

My 42" throws 30 feet, I would guess. I believe it throws better than my JD 48" single stage.Top end RPMs need to be dialed in properly for maximum distance. I had this problem with my JD a couple years ago. It turned out I was running about 2500 rpm at WOT. That doesn't cut it.Per Bob's post, another nice thing about the single stage is the ability to handle the march snowfalls - heavy, sloppy stuff.

id="quote">
id="quote">agreed. The more the better. I will take the single stage any day. They can be found reasonably without mods. and do the job well. Like I said. They may not throw snow into the next county, but my drive is 16` X 90`. Works great if it snows (very seldom).

thanks for all the info. I'll have to check out the rpms . I must say when it gets some lighter snow it does throw it far enough to satisfy me.Maybe I'm not keeping enough snow in the auger.

Mike,

The method of clearing snow differs when one uses a two stage when compared to when one uses a single stage.

With the two stage the second stage actually throws the snow, so the auger does not need to be full of snow. This means you can operate the tractor speed at whatever speed you want. Fast or slow the speed of the tractor does not directly affect the distance the snow is thrown.

With a single stage the auger speed as well as the amount of snow in the auger determines how far the snow will be thrown.

For a single stage to throw snow effectively you need to have the engine run at WOT (3,600 RPM). Next you need to keep the auger full of snow. This means that on really deep snow you need to slow down to a crawl (don't want to stall the tractor). If the snow if very light (or not very deep) you need to increase the tractor speed to keep the auger full.

The key with a single stage blower is vary your speed to keep the auger full of snow. As long as the auger is full of snow, it will throw it as far as it can.

There are many reports on this site of users blowing slush with a single stage. As long as the auger is full of "snow", it will be thrown.

It is for this reason many people prefer the hydro when blowing snow. You have infinite choices on the speed of the tractor.

Rick.....

As having both and "older" 36" single, and "newer" 42" single, I have wondered about the rouned chute 36: vs the square chute 42". Might just be a bit of RPM difference, but my thought was the rounded older chute threw it further. The 36" had 12.5 hp and the square 16hp. Used both for at least 5+ years, and I "think" the rounded worked better. Might just be older age. Any other thoughts on this?

John,

Another difference between the older 36 inch blowers and the 42 inch blowers is the auger speed. The auger speed is controlled not only by the engine speed but the size of the pulleys.

If I remember correctly the older 36 inch blower turns at a faster rate than the newer 42 inch blowers.

A couple of members have tried to alter the pulley size on the new blowers to get them to spin faster. The results were mixed as I remember it. If you increase the auger speed too much, you reduce the amount of torque the engine has available to throw the heavy snow.

I believe Marty and Elon (maybe a few others have tried different pulley sizes.

Rick.......

The shape of the chute may have something to do with it. My older 42" single stage had the round chute, and I could tell little difference in distance between it and the 36" -- note that the adjusted angle of the chute's end is a factor also:

42" driven by 12 HP:

62589618_fd9ae53e09_z.jpg

36" driven by 10 HP:

62521593_f5cd88671a_z.jpg

Keep in mind that a 2-stage blower will be heavier and stick out farther to the front------------all of which reduces traction of the rear wheels and increases steering effort.

I've been using a single stage 42" Simplicity/AC blower since 1978 in Wisconsin and Minnesota. It has worked well in all types of snow.

I always used wide open throttle with the 917 and it was at or near 3600 rpm. I now blow snow with the 7790 at about 2/3's throttle, but I've reduced the driven pulley size. Works great.

Mark,

The 7790 is not a fair comparison. That motor is a beast! it is rated at a much lower horsepower than what it actually produces.

UCD ran a 7790 for many years clearing several parking lots and apartment complexes. While he never rebuilt the motor he did wear out several 42 inch snow blowers. UCD estimated that the motor had over 5,000 hours when he sold it to a relative. And it was still going strong. He upgraded to a Legacy diesel.

Rick......

Mine is an older 42" with rounded chutes. Someone speculated it was converted from use with a 300 series, to my 900-series allis. I have attached an older pic for what it it worth.Maybe members could measure sprockets on certain models, for general info? I can post mine, when I next remove the chain guard.

0117001722b.jpg

0117001722b.jpg.1684527cb2b41e9f38a31238f5981d2d.jpg

Yeah, the Lombardini is a tough, strong engine--------as long as you keep the cooling fins clean. Blowing snow and tilling is all I do with mine. I would never mow grass with it.

Mine is an older 42" with rounded chutes. Someone speculated it was converted from use with a 300 series, to my 900-series allis. I have attached an older pic for what it it worth.Maybe members could measure sprockets on certain models, for general info? I can post mine, when I next remove the chain guard.

0117001722b.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">I didn't mess with the chain sprockets. I reduced the belt pulley diameter that drives the shaft over to the chain.

Someone speculated it was converted from use with a 300 series, to my 900-series allis.

id="quote">
id="quote">That was me. It is from either a 300 - 400 series. The Simplicity and Allis tunnel that the hitch mount to is longer buy 4" or so. I made one longer like the Simplicity 7 or 8 years ago. It is in show and tell. The one below shows the difference. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=57145&SearchTerms=snowblower

hitchsnomount.jpg

hitchsnomount.jpg.0ce00f424e3525fe94e945e9de863b6a.jpg

Interesting, Ray. I need to take a closer look at mine. It definitely is shorter than your hitch. I know one thing, the hood will rest on the blower chute when I open it.

thanks for all the great info. I'll have to check the rpms to make sure that the engine is turning fast enough. although the auger looks to be spinning pretty fast.

This is my second winter with the 50" (I think?) on the front of the 720... As RickS way up there says, the trick is full throttle, front hydro is on float, and the trick is to vary the speed of the hydro based on how the snow is coming out... If it runs out of snow, then it _WILL_ compact in the chute and you're getting out to free the chute.. You basically want a solid continuous noodle of snow coming out of the chute... When it works, it's a pretty awesome spectacle...