Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Running 10 horse Briggs on Bench?

B110guy

Obviously I'd need fuel to the carb, but if I set it up with the belt to the S/G, can I at least turn over a 10 horse Briggs out of my B110 on the bench? Trying to track down a no spark issue and I'd like to at least know I have spark before I put the engine back in the tractor. If not, how fast does the engine have to be spinning before it'll spark? Has a Megafire that I think is defective.

B110guy

Sure you can run it on the bench. Just bolt it to a bench or something heavy enough to keep it stationary when it starts. I have actually started engines with them just sitting in the floor of the garage. I had to hold them to keep them from walking across the floor.

Several members have built stands or carts to use when working on and running an engine to make sure it is right before putting the engine on a tractor.

To just verify spark you can give it a small shot of starting fluid and pull start it...if it fires for just a moment then you've got spark...sm01

i put a mega fire oon my 110 ad it didnt like to start it took it awhile before if would spark when turning over i just changed it back to points it rus better on points.

I always test an engine on a bench setup before installing it in a tractor. Anchor the engine,--- put a spare gas tank on a shelf or step ladder above the engine with a hose and a shut off valve. I use a rope to turn the engine and test for spark with a spark tester tool. The engine is anchored to a bench on rollers so I can move the test outside for longer test runs. This is better then installing the engine many times in the tractor to find the problem. I also use a good carburetor that has run before on a good test run to simplify the test run.

Why not just set it on the tractor where you have a gas tank.

Run a bolt in a couple of corners and see if it will run.

If it dose you are that much a head on installing it,if it

won't start you still don't have that much work in to it.

Keep it Simple!

I like Sam's rig for engine testing, An old FDT frame (mounted bottom side up I think).

Bolt engine in same holes, has dash w/control cables & a mounted gas tank, etc... sounds like a nice set-up

run them all the time on the bench. i just run a couple drywall screws in the mounting holes into the wood bench top. i use a small step ladder with a plastic tester gas tank slid down into a cardboard box. i put counter weight in the rear of the box so the tank don't fall off the ladder shelf.

now for the no spark problem yes they need to turn over fast enough for spark. just had had a problem were the S&G was turning to slow to spark. replaced S&G and all is good. and regap the spark plug to 20 may help starting with mega-fire and avoid back fires. .

here is a video of one of my old briggs running on the bench -

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

I like Sam's rig for engine testing, An old FDT frame (mounted bottom side up I think). Bolt engine in same holes, has dash w/control cables & a mounted gas tank, etc... sounds like a nice set-up

id="quote">
id="quote">

hb110g1018.jpg

I got tired of chasing a hopping engine across the floor:DIts wired up for both battery ignition and mag ignition.

Thanks for the help guys. Not sure when I'll get back to the old girl, but at least I know it's doable. I'd rather keep it on the bench since I have all the shrouding off. That way if it's the coil and not the megafire, I don't have to go that deep twice.

B110guy

quote:Originally posted by SmilinSam
Originally posted by GLPointon

I like Sam's rig for engine testing, An old FDT frame (mounted bottom side up I think). Bolt engine in same holes, has dash w/control cables & a mounted gas tank, etc... sounds like a nice set-up

id="quote">id="quote">that is a good idea , but still bending over to work on a engine. i use a ceiling mount wench to lift engines up to bench. my back , hips and knees are fried from the commercial carpet business and years of mechanic shops.