Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

variable speed slipping

jboehler

I have a B 212,B112,both tractors when under a load or just mowing up a hill both variable speed transmissions slip in high in all gears I have went by the book and adjusted everything looked at everything nothing helps.

Jacob,

Welcome to the club. You are not alone with slipping vari-drives. It is usually a combination of a worn belt and worn parts. Sadly, the belts are expensive and some of parts are NLA.

The belts are still available at Simplicity dealers. There are no exact commercial substitutes that I am aware of.

quote:Originally posted by jboehler

the B212 has new belt on it still slips, getting to were I don't care for the vari drives at all I like the hydros and straight 3 speeds.

id="quote">
id="quote">with a new belt you should be able to get it dialed in... BUTyou certainly could just remove the variable stuff and just put pulleys on the bgb and the rear end

quote:Originally posted by jboehler

the B212 has new belt on it still slips, getting to were I don't care for the vari drives at all I like the hydros and straight 3 speeds.

id="quote">
id="quote">We share the same opinion. The linkages can/will develop slop that no new belt can compensate for. I've tried rebuilding a few, and it's more work than it's worth. I don't even consider them anymore unless they are dirt cheap. It was a great idea, with poor execution....really the only thing about these old machines that dissapoints me.

You said slips in high. It sounds like the position of the belt is getting too low in the driven pulley and not high enough on the drive pulley and you have run out of travel on the belt tightener/clutch pulley.

It is hard for me to explain but there are adjustments in the turn-buckle that you can make that are not in the book, that will change the ratio between the 2 pulleys. The PO may have separated the turn buckle and now it is not making the right adjustment. I adjust so when in 7 the belt even with the top surface of the drive pulley and the belt is just above the transition near the root of the driven pulley.

I have used the vari-speed on a pulling tractor without slippage, but it did until I made the adjustments, cleaned the belt and pulleys with brake cleaner.

If the linkages are very worn and loose you not be able to get it dialed in.

Also make sure you have a good spring on the clutch and that there is not something that is limiting the travel of the clutch, you need to have a least 1/2" and really 3/4" play on the clutch rod adjustment.

• Like 1

I'm going to be diving into a rebuild of the pulley system of my 3314V once the weather gets a bit warmer. I have to adjust the pedal, PTO and I have binding components that need disassembly and greasing. I'd appreciate any advice on how to go about rebuilding the "v" system.

Thx,

Ken

You should ck the bearings on the variable pulleys to be sure they go in and out properly. I went years with a variable speed problem, ---- sometimes slipping and sometimes belts too tight. I finally changed the large pulley half with a different bearing and it has been working good since. The bearing was bad causing the pulley movement to stick and I did not know what was going on.

Ijust used the factory shive style pulley squeezed the front pulley all the way shut put bushing behind the shive so it could not move back,the back shive I opend it up 3/4 of an inch with bushings in between the shive took the vari assembly off that moves the shives and installed factory vari speed belt, works like a charm don't slip anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

OK mine has the same problem in the lowest gear.

Regent 12.5 hp

M/N 1692160 S/N 5802 5 forward gears.

Do i have the vari speed?