Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wheel weights and tires

chris87

im looking for some rear wheel weights for my 67 landlord 2010. my plans are to get a moldboard plow for the spring so im trying to start getting stuff around for it. i have found a few used oem ones on cl but have not been quick enough and dont feel like paying close to $200 on ebay. but i was wondering if there were some u fill them plastic ones that would fit and be cheep till i can get the cast one. im trying to plan ahead and weigh my options. and for tires i found these on ebay. first are they any good? i thought i saw some were that they only have 16/32 of tread. that dont sound like much i figured that would be closer to 3/4" but i dont really know anything about ag tires. any help would be great thank you chris.

here is the link i forgot to add it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-23X10-50-12-Deestone-4P-Super-Lug-Tires-PAIR-DS5245-/390503225403?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D5570123303074854509%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D300807262068%26

now are these going to be to wide or is it better to get the 8.5 vs 10.5. like skinny tires are better in snow is the same for ag tires in the garden or mud?

Weights are weights. whether they are cast iron or concrete. The ones in the link below are Kubota and they will fit yours and not that far away either. They are 50#`s per side compared to Simplicity`s 25#`s per side. Personally the only thing I would do with OEM is sell them. I use the plastic concrete for wheel weights. They can be had for alot less for twice the weight.

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/grd/3461094350.html

Myth: Wide tires provide better traction under all weather conditions. In fact, putting oversize snow tires on a car delivers better snow traction.

Fact: The opposite is actually true. Wide tires tend to "float" on deep snow, and the tread lugs never have a chance to "dig" through to the road surface to gain traction. Narrow tires are a better option in deep snow. The tire acts similarly to a knife cutting through butter; the blade works best when using the narrow edge to push through the butter rather than the wide flat side of the blade.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/womt/112_9903_tire_myths_and_reality/viewall.html#ixzz2Ko9EWBYG

I have very little plowing experience. But, before you go spending a lot of money on wheel weights and new AG's, I thought I'd tell you about my limited experience. I plowed up a garden spot in my yard last year with a plow that someone was throwing away. It's an 8" plow instead of a 10" or 12". But, I plowed the whole thing without any traction problems. And, I just used turf tires, without chains, and did not add any wheel weights or fill the tires. As you can see from the pics below it got the job done, and I never had any problems with the tires spinning, etc. The only thing it wouldn't pull through was that big rock you see in the middle of the garden plot, though I did give it the old college try once. 8DSo, unless you just want new tires and weights, you might think about trying what you have first. If that doesn't work, a used set of tire chains and some WW fluid is much cheaper than brand new AG tires and wheel weights.

2011_1224Landlord0001.JPG

2011_1224Landlord0003.JPG

2011_1224Landlord0001.JPG.ee1736e10e1ea6c82780ecad5865a54d.JPG

2011_1224Landlord0003.JPG.7b66d55e32af377c7bd5ef40409bd845.JPG

I prefer narrower tires over wide...Ray's info is spot on, most especially in snow.

Also, narrower tires seem easier for plowing, since our moldboard's are only 10", and it's far easier to stick a narrower tire in the furrow, and keep it there. I've been plowing with 10.5's (they were a great deal, but I wouldn't buy another set), and you can feel that it's more of a battle. The tire wants to ride up the landside, and the operator gets to try and continually compensate for that. I've seen some folks with the 'cool' look of even a 12" tire on a GT, but cannot imagine they have a plow wide enough to pull, to make that a worthwhile setup.

I was in the same boat as you....

I thought I needed ags and weights on the B-10....

Put the plow on and use turfs...

Its amazing how well it works.

P.S. I still want ags and weights, but definitely don't need them!

well i'm glad i asked. all the videos i have watched they had either ag or chains and pretty much all had weights. but i do need the weights to plow my drive way i live on a hill and the top quarter is a real bear to get up. but since winter is pretty much over i can wait til i find a good deal. it could give me a good reason to buy another tractor if it comes with weights or chains:). but ags do make these little tractors look mean. i do like the looks of the skinny ags better then wide ags.

ray, great info and it seams you have a good source for everything do you have one for plastic weights? the kubota one are a deal but i dont get to that side of the state very often. i agree with the wide vs narrow i have been stuck in our lot at work in a tuck with super singles on it. they just float and don't transfer any grip to the ground.

chris, nice garden i will try with just turfs first. my tires are filled with about 4 gallons each of rv anti freeze.

and ryan, also being a diesel tech i do agree mechanics always win. it may require redefining what winning means to get there tho.

quote:Originally posted by chris87

well i'm glad i asked. all the videos i have watched they had either ag or chains and pretty much all had weights. but i do need the weights to plow my drive way i live on a hill and the top quarter is a real bear to get up. but since winter is pretty much over i can wait til i find a good deal. it could give me a good reason to buy another tractor if it comes with weights or chains:). but ags do make these little tractors look mean. i do like the looks of the skinny ags better then wide ags.ray, great info and it seams you have a good source for everything do you have one for plastic weights? the kubota one are a deal but i dont get to that side of the state very often. i agree with the wide vs narrow i have been stuck in our lot at work in a tuck with super singles on it. they just float and don't transfer any grip to the ground.chris, nice garden i will try with just turfs first. my tires are filled with about 4 gallons each of rv anti freeze. and ryan, also being a diesel tech i do agree mechanics always win. it may require redefining what winning means to get there tho.

id="quote">
id="quote">I just watch craigslist for whatever I need.TSC stores can order them.Here are some in Rockford. I suggest you take a rear tire with you to make sure they fit in the rim. I bought a set one time I thought would fit. They ended up being for a MTD and were to snug of a fit. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/grd/3604948071.html

Your soil will also mandate what sort of setup you need...I do not believe there is a universal perfect 'fit'. I was unable to pull a 10" plow at my old place, with bare turfs. I was breaking virgin ground, and the field sod was simply too tough, and I would be dead in the water as soon as I lost my momentum. That's no fun. With chains, she did much better, but I quickly got tired of hopping up and down on the seat, as the tire/chains would slip and lose traction repeatedly. It must have been comical for the neighbors.

My folks have completely different soil...rich, black and 'greasy'. The tire/chain combo simply packed full and turned into a racing slick.

AG's did away with my woes completely, since they do not load up. Then I added just a few wheel weights to help get my traction distributed. You don't have to go nuts, but every little tweak will help dial in your machine. I now keep the AG's on year round, since they put an end to my turf-tire-burnouts when mowing my hills.

I'd be confident going to a plow day now, adjusting if need be for the soil, and just putting her in gear and having fun. Looking back, I would have put on an embarrassing show. Just as important, or even moreso, is getting that plow setup properly.

My two cents is. Being brought up on a farm and plowing many acres of all types of soil. I beleave the plow actually pulls down on the back tires and gives you traction. Because of the shape of the plow. I can remember the front end of the tractor lifting a little when plowing.

quote:Originally posted by bigten65

My two cents is. Being brought up on a farm and plowing many acres of all types of soil. I beleave the plow actually pulls down on the back tires and gives you traction. Because of the shape of the plow. I can remember the front end of the tractor lifting a little when plowing.

id="quote">
id="quote">This was my theory as to why I was able to get along with just turfs and no weights. Might have been a different story if I was pulling a bigger plow, or in a different type of soil. But I was pleasantly surprised at how well it performed.

The right rear tire SHOULD fit into the furrow.I had the same results using turfs and chains as I did ag's.I think I still have a clip on Youtube under "wingnut128wi" of me making concrete weights. I used the same process to make my 60#ers for my rear tires.You should see how well an old 8N pulls a spring trip two bottom plow with wide set turf tires on the rear....... NOT!

Plowday4.jpg

That is a 60# weight. There are two pieces of 1/2" galvanized pipe that I cleaned out to get the 1/2" carraige bolts through. I lined the rim with cardboard and a plastic garbage bag. I bolted down the pipes and started pouring the concrete.I let the block cure for two days before I took everything apart.Brinly recommends 110# on the left rear, 55# on the right rear, and anothe 55# on the front of the tractor.

Plowday4.jpg.338a9a8e23e4672120e94104c551418f.jpg

i work with farmer and he does not believe my 10hp could pull a plow. but he has said that he has went across a field with the front tires off the ground. and if i need more traction ill get the skinny ags and ill try making Tim's homemade concrete weights. i might add black concrete die so it matches the tire. but great ideal since the front wheel weights seem to kinda had to find.

If you are going to pull a moldboard plow with the tractor, the tire should be narrow enough to ride down in the previously plowed furrow, otherwise you will just be packing down soil that was just plowed. Narrow tires are best for using with a moldboard plow. The offset of the wheel also needs to be right to make the tire run in the furrow. On some tractors, the hitch can be moved side to side in small increments to make this alignment of the tire with the plowed furrow. On the Simplicity and AC tractors, the hitch is fixed, so the wheels must line up the tire with the furrow or the plow will not go straight and turn over a full cut. It will have a tendency to walk out of the cut.

I disagree with some of the comments about wide tires, traction, and snow, but that is another discussion. I have never purchased a set of tires just for "looks".

Also, the Simplicity/AC moldboards have a small amount of adjustment, for L to R alignment. Brinly's have multiple attachment points to do the same thing.

I believe in chains and weights. My 7119 with the Wright-Way loader has aggies, concrete weights, and a hundred and twenty pound shredder on back. Still, the wheels spin in many scenarios, particularly when trying to back uphill with a load of mulch in the bucket. Later this spring, I'll swap the aggies for turf tires and chains and report back. All my other tractors have turf and chains, and rarely get stuck.

Except the 3416, which has turf and a tiller. The weight of the tiller, and the softness of the soil makes this a good combo. I started my garden last year, from old forest. I did not plow, but tilled the virgin soil. Main problem was rocks, which apparently God has decided wiill occupy my spare time in the garden for the foreseeable future.

Why is this post so wide? I have to scroll all the way over to read it.?

I don't see this in other posts, not complaing just wondering?

quote:Originally posted by RedbarnRick

Why is this post so wide? I have to scroll all the way over to read it.?I don't see this in other posts, not complaing just wondering?

id="quote">
id="quote">Not sure, but I think the long eBay link posted up above may not be "word-wrapping" down on another line quite the way it should... so it forces the browser window to be wider than usual..