Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
chuckdog

couple AC 616 questions

chuckdog

I got a couple questions on my 616. First of all, what were all the changes between the 16.5 onan engine and the later engine that was in the 620, 720's. I read an old post on another forum where a guy did some changes to his 616 engine to make it the same as the later engines. I think it was a carb and/or intake change. Is that all that is necessary to get more power out of it. Secondly what are the other differences between the 616 that I got and the later series, 620 and 720. Mine has no front hyd. outlets, was that a later feature, and is is possible to add them easily to my tractor. Reason I am asking all of this is I was wondering how good of a machine these are for blowing snow, especially compared to Simplicity large frame tractors. Currently I have a 7117 repowered with a kohler command 23, with a 42" simplicity single stage and a simplicity soft cab. I was thinking it would be neat to have this tractor all set up with a 52" blower and also find a hard cab for it. I love my current tractor. Just thinking of a way to keep this 616 and also make it earns its keep. It's no fun if you don't have some attachments to play with. Also how hard is it to find hard cab setups for these tractors? I found one a month or two ago on a local craigslist, before I bought this tractor. Now that I got it, the ad is no longer to be found. Figures.

Marty-MN

Yes as far as I know the intake manifold and carburetor makes to change from 16.5 to 19.5 hp. The 616 had a single hydraulic standard and a dual hydraulics were optional you can add just the lines to the front using the proper fittings and lines or you can add the duel hydraulics by changing the valve and adding two sets of lines to the front.