Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Thinking about making a serial number list

AC82

I posted this last night in the "Serial number list to tell year" but I don't think it's a good place to get feedback. So here it is again.

I have been thinking about the problem with Simplicity / AC serial numbers for a long time now. I have been thinking about compiling a list of of serial numbers of machines with original engines. It will be very time consuming, and take tractor information from as many members as possible.

I think the information I would need would be a lot like the club's registry including:

Model Number

MFG Number

Serial Number

Original Engine Model Number

Original Engine Serial Number

Original Engine Manufacture Date

Owner Name (Optional)

I would like to set this up by organizing the numbers sequentially and with the engine build date. This way a person could find where their serial number falls and base at least a year off the closest numbers.

I think it would be most helpful for someone with a tractor without an engine or has been re-powered. Maybe this list could be posted in the Resource area.

Maybe this is an impossible task or a dumb idea, which is why I want to get some feedback on this before making any attempt.

I think it sounds like a great idea. When I get a nice day I will try to run around and get a list of numers for you. It still won't be 100% accurate as the engines were sometimes 6 months older than the tractor but it will be as close as we can get.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

I think it sounds like a great idea. When I get a nice day I will try to run around and get a list of numers for you. It still won't be 100% accurate as the engines were sometimes 6 months older than the tractor but it will be as close as we can get.

id="quote">
id="quote">Sounds great. Ya I understand that motors were built prior to the tractors. I just hope I don't run into a couple tractors, one with a late serial number and early engine serial and then an early number tractor with a late engine serial. Things could get interesting!

quote:Originally posted by AC82

Sounds great. Ya I understand that motors were built prior to the tractors. I just hope I don't run into a couple tractors, one with a late serial number and early engine serial and then an early number tractor with a late engine serial. Things could get interesting!

id="quote">
id="quote">I would venture to say that this conundrum will be unavoidable.Depends which engine the assembler grabbed off the pallet, or shelf and who the assembler was and what sort of order the engines were placed on the skid or shelf in the first place. I doubt there was much "first in first out" back then.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

There is a lot of good info in the registry. Not sure how much it gets used, but there is a lot of existing serial # info there. Could at least use that to begin your recording, and get your format established.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/registry_list.asp?sectionid=5

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Josh. I think I probably will start there. I just worry about registry entries with re-powered tractors. But I'm sure these will stand out once the list starts coming together.