Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Axle Bearing Leak

RandyBuxton

Working on my B10 restore project. I have a leak of gear oil from the (left) axle bearing. It is ever so slight of a leak. I would describe it in a word as "weeping". I have drained the gear oil and will put in new oil soon. I've seen the pictorial on this site on replacing the bearings and got as far as getting the axle to slide out to the right but couldn't get the axle to come all the way out. I started to take a small screwdriver to the bearing to remove it but had second thoughts. Like maybe a miracle will happen when I replace the oil and the leak will be gone. :DI would like an opinion or two on whether I should replace the bearings or not. And, if I should, is there a better way to remove the bearings than taking a screwdriver to pry it out.Any other helpful hints would be appreciated. Other than this problem the restore project is going great. I have all of the pieces taken down, ready to clean it all up, sandblast, and prime.Thanks.

LeftAxle2.JPG

Can't see the leak but this is the bearing in question,

OldGearOil.JPG

The old gear oil.

LeftAxle2.JPG.b374e47e4e7e6b00c8bdff94a064767d.JPG

OldGearOil.JPG.e6775495164ac5c09c6399c85b2c7c71.JPG

I'm sure the guys will jump in here and help, but in the meantime, here's a link by our club president, on removing axles:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118409

Make sure the collar is off on the left side. I remember having to rotate the axle a bit to get it out. If it's bunged up bad on the left side it won't come out either.

As for leaks, some guys can't tolerate them, and other guys just keep putting oil in, it's really your call. I did change a seal or two, but just was careful about removing them.

Here's link to my introduction to axles, tubes, woodruff keys, bearing seals and all that good stuff. Good luck with your project, and let's see some "before" pictures of the B10.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118407

Seems like a lot of gear oil came out. I'll have to measure it. I have before pics on the Show and Tell section.http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123924

quote:Originally posted by rfsmith1952

I'm sure the guys will jump in here and help, but in the meantime, here's a link by our club president, on removing axles:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118409Make sure the collar is off on the left side. I remember having to rotate the axle a bit to get it out. If it's bunged up bad on the left side it won't come out either.As for leaks, some guys can't tolerate them, and other guys just keep putting oil in, it's really your call. I did change a seal or two, but just was careful about removing them.Here's link to my introduction to axles, tubes, woodruff keys, bearing seals and all that good stuff. Good luck with your project, and let's see some "before" pictures of the B10.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118407

id="quote">
id="quote">

It is only supposed to be filled to the axle seals. I think who-ever filled it, overfilled it. Maybe it's just the way it looks. On my 728, someone filled the transmission all the way to the fill plug, and you could see where the oil would splash all over the place. Hope this helps.

Looking at the manual... Is the bearing (visible in tbe picture above) the same as the seal or is there a seal behind fhe bearing? Hard for me to tell looking at the manual.

quote:Originally posted by sb64

It is only supposed to be filled to the axle seals. I think who-ever filled it, overfilled it. Maybe it's just the way it looks. On my 728, someone filled the transmission all the way to the fill plug, and you could see where the oil would splash all over the place. Hope this helps.

id="quote">
id="quote">

I believe (looking at Jacks,) that what your looking at on the outside is the seal. I highly doubt they would design the bearing on the outside of the seal to get full of dirt. I may be wrong, but thats the way ir looks on Jacks. What is the MFR# and H.P. of the tractor?

2 plus quarts of gear oil was drained from the transmission. We'll see if thats the cause of the weeping seal after I refill it with the proper amount, 1 1/4 quarts.

This is a rather common malady with these tractors. What you are looking at is a seal. Without splitting the case the only way to remove the seals is from the outside using a screw driver, pick or other prying tool. There is one other method of removing these seals, use a small drill to make a hole in the seal. Thread in a small self tapping screw and then you can pull it out with a pair of pliers.

Before replacing the seals you should check the bushings or bearings (in later models) for wear. Too much wear on either the bushings or axle tube will also contribute to leakage issues.

Unfortunately splitting the transaxle is the best way to adress worn bushings or bearings and is the only way to remove the axle tube.

Good luck.