Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Architectdave

Setting max engine speed

Architectdave

How do you guys set your max engine speed?

RayS

I use a tach made by Tiny Tach.

Architectdave

Ray, do you move it from engine to engine or have it mounted on one tractor?

quote:Originally posted by RayS

I use a tach made by Tiny Tach.

id="quote">
id="quote">

superbman101

I use a Tiny Tach also dOd Mounted to the tractor.

midnightpumpkin

I bought this one on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Resolution-Digital-LCD-Non-Contact-Laser-Photo-Tachometer-RPM-Tester-/190725954776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c68271cd8

I like it and you sure can't beat the price. It uses a piece of reflective tape on a rotating surface to make the measurement. Non-contact. Accuracy seems to be reasonable for my purposes.

John U

JohnMBerst

I have the same tack for 3 years, and so far works well. And that I can use the tape to check other items, blower RPM or what ever. One of those once or twice a year use things. I believe a 9v battery to power it, so rather easy to keep a spare and change.

RayS
Originally posted by Architectdave

Ray, do you move it from engine to engine or have it mounted on one tractor?

quote:
id="quote">I move from engine to engine. Next one I buy will be like John`s. No issue with the Tiny Tach other than it has a battery that can not be changed.

HubbardRA

I use a Vibratach. No batteries needed with them. They also seem to be very accurate and the readings are repeatable.

GrincheyOne

I use the "Sen-Dec" which is sold under various branding, primarily the highest priced by Country Home Products aka DRPower @ $39. Available elsewhwre for $19. It is an inductive pickup off the plug wire and requires no batteries. It comes with a bracket, and can be panel mounted (snap in).

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

fishnwiz

GrincheyOne

Can I ask where this tac is available for 19.99? I seen it a various places but price is 69.00?

BLT
quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

GrincheyOneCan I ask where this tac is available for 19.99? I seen it a various places but price is 69.00?

id="quote">
id="quote">This is an accurate tach and at times you can get then for less then $10 free shipping from Hong Kong.

Engine tach.jpg

They read spark signals for two and four cycle engines. That's the good part, the bad part is that they only have a shelf life of 3-4 years when the battery goes dead. It is supposed to be a sealed unit, hah, battery can be replaced with hot glue gun.:D

fishnwiz

BLT..Ebay? Where have you seen these in our area for that price?

RayS

ebay!

CarlH

I have a tach similar to John's I got from eBay. Harbor Freight has them also. Works fine for garden tractor engines and other stuff. I use a tire grease pencil to mark the rotating object because I long ago lost the reflective tape. :I

fishnwiz

o tey !:D

timflury

I use an electronic tach with a rubber tip that fits into the countersink on the end of the crankshaft.

Borrowed from the cabinet at work, but not brought home without a sign out ticket.:D:D

haykarenhardy

" I use a tire grease pencil to mark the rotating object because I long ago lost the reflective tape. "

Aluminum Foil and double stick tape work to.

Kenh
quote:Originally posted by haykarenhardy

" I use a tire grease pencil to mark the rotating object because I long ago lost the reflective tape. "Aluminum Foil and double stick tape work to.

id="quote">
id="quote">I've done both but have a hard time counting fast enough at full throttle to get a accurate reading, That and my eye site is going a bit so I know I miss the mark as it comes around.;):D

Architectdave

BLT I just installed that same tach you have pictured. I also got one of the digital handheld tachs that uses the tape. I just set the high and low speeds on my tractor 1200 and 3000. 3600 seems too high for my taste. Well anyway that dash mounted tach doesn't seem to be working properly its only reading 1500 rpm max. I re-wrapped the spark plug wire a couple of times and in differant places, got the same results everytime.

RayS

3600 RPM is the designed RPM for these to run at. The reason is so the engine will cool like it was designed to do.

BLT
quote:Originally posted by Architectdave

BLT I just installed that same tach you have pictured. I also got one of the digital handheld tachs that uses the tape. I just set the high and low speeds on my tractor 1200 and 3000. 3600 seems too high for my taste. Well anyway that dash mounted tach doesn't seem to be working properly its only reading 1500 rpm max. I re-wrapped the spark plug wire a couple of times and in differant places, got the same results everytime.

id="quote">
id="quote">Press S 1 button for 4 seconds then hold down until number 3 appears and then release it. That should give you 2 revs per spark and coincide with your hand tach. 3000 RPM wouldn't give you good snowblowing speed. I was there and now up to 3450 and what a difference.

Architectdave

FOr some reason the tach settings woldn't take, I did finally get it set right and it stayed set, not sure, must be operator error.