Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sliderxc

Help with a 6218

sliderxc

hello all I have a 6218 in my shop that is a variable speed I cant keep the drive belt the one from the engine to the vari drive I would appreciate any help with this problem also if anyone would happened to have a Manuel for it I would greatly appreciate it thanks

steve-wis

I have the operators manual and parts manual for 6200 series on my computer, if you email me I can send them to you. I just bought a 6216, a fixer-upper. I am told the vari-drive must be kept cleaned and lubed per the book, and adjusted properly for satisfactory operation.

Steve

dhardin

This happened to me on my 6218, It is really not that difficult and very common. Between the motor pulley and the transmission pulley is what I call a shiv pulley. Both belts motor pulley and transmission belt go to this shiv. The problem lies in the center shaft of the shiv is full of dirt and dust and dry (not lubed) enough for the shiv center peace to slid freely back and forth.

It is not necessary to remove to many parts, just get both belts off or out of the way. Then with WD40 spray wash the center shaft and move side to side the center hub of the pulley till it moves freely. Spray and wash till you rinse all the dust out of this shaft. The problem is the spring loaded end of the shiv needs to be unhooked or disassembled. So you can have complete travel of the center shiv. I believe for me I had to remove the spring pressure and remove both belts to get a good job of cleaning the moving parts of the shiv. You will see what need to be removed when you get under it..

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask question if you still have issues.