Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RedbarnRick

Attention Legacy owners (non xl models) updated

RedbarnRick

I have the diesel Legacy 2wd from 2001 with a FEL, the front power take off runs thru the front axle, well, due to my not greasing it enough or a poor design the sleeve holding the axle that the pto passes thru wore out, the kit to to replace it is a wopping $435 and is a completely reengineered kit probably due to several failures, I was lucky I have a friend that is a machinist and we made a new part out of tool steel and with some engineering on my part it's good as new. Here the kit number it has a pdf of the old and new parts. Don't overlook this grease fitting it's directly under the center of the axle.

Part No. 1687103 Here's a link

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jgEBGP_frO3tG5EPa7mRgtLvBCd6.pdf

SmilinSam

The earlier ConQuests & Prestiges also have a Axle repair kit for those models as well. My Wifes Massey ConQuest front axle is about wore out at around 1000 hours. That kit last time I checked costs around $300 and requires some welding if I remember right.

jmhusby

Thats why I always say that engineers should have to go out in the field and work the the things they design. Do you suppose they would do better on cars, trucks, tractors, etc., than they do now?:(

acfarmer

Gotta wonder sometimes Ariens went from a great time tested design on the pivot/PTO in the GT models to a poor design on the Grand Sierra models plus the bushing that they supply is about 1/2" too short.

RedbarnRick

To anyone with these original designs that has not had any problems yet the fix is fairly easy, if you look at the pdf you will see the sleeve that the pto runs through, and two flange bearings, on either side of the frame, when they stamped the frame they stamped two holes through it which actually formed shoulders for the sleeve to sit in, the mistake was that they made the sleeve slightly smaller than the outside dimensions of the frame, in my Legacy's case the dimension was exactly 4 3/8 inches, the original sleeve measured 4 3/16. Once it got loose from the axle's movements, it worked/walked it's way into the back side of the front bearing seal, and had just enough movement to then fall off the rear frame shoulder stamping, once it fell the weight of the tractor and loader, in this case, allowed the hardened spinning pto shaft to burn right thru the sleeve taking out both belts and stopping the engine,(WHOA in more ways than one),the fix I did was to make a new tool steel sleeve exactly 4 3/8" and clean up the pto shaft which luckily didn't bend, I ordered two pfaff flange bearings (ebay) and using the flange as a pattern cut out two 3/32" sheet metal flanges with a 1 1/4" hole in the center this will keep the sleeve from walking and also help seal the rear of the bearings, if your sleeve and bearings are good, pull them off and remove the sleeve and the sheet metal flanges (I bought the heaviest ga. sheet metal they sell at menards) first do the back, install the bearing over the sheet metal and push the sleeve all the way up against it, you will probably have about 3/16 clearance, strip some 10 ga. copper wire and make two o rings the size of the sleave, put them in place, one per side, with a dab of grease to hold them and once bolted up the sleeve has no where to go the copper crushes to hold in place. You just saved yourself 300-400 dollars. I'll try to scan my drawing later and ad it to this post to help make it less confusing. I mocked up the original with the wire so I know it will work, but I used a new tool steel sleeve 4 3/8" with a thicker wall(1/4) this was an even better solution, price; 40 for bearings 15 for a bottle of wine for my machinist buddy and some help for his projects, 10 for the sheet metal, 35 for the two belts. I pulled all the sheet metal off had the body shop paint it and touched up the frame myself, I bought a new seat and spent just slightly over what the kit and belts would have set me back and the Legacy looks brand new with new decals.I forgot to mention you will need tinnermans to hold the front set of bolts in place, the rear can be bolted in before the axle is set in place.

Top a.jpg

Here's the Legacy after paint and decals awaiting the headlight pod I polished the lenses.

DSC01955 B.jpg

57e05db1a5b92_Topa.jpg.c97c828e6c8b47028449ebaf62b29260.jpg

57e05db1d7ae2_DSC01955B.jpg.f091cff7683372f641be96810ffb6a3a.jpg