Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Modular Weight Carrier FDT and RBT

Talntedmrgreen

I wanted to share a project that I was able to bribe Ray into pulling off for me. A few months back he posted on a suitcase weight carrier that he built for the common, MTD style 43# weights. It was designed for mounting on the front of RBT's and worked great after I picked one up off Ray. It will hold anywhere from 43 to 215#, and I wanted one for use with my rear mount vac, and Mac sprayer, both of which bring the front tires off the ground on the hills in my lawn.

The build is beautiful...Ray is an artist with steel.

20121217_123016.jpg

20121217_123039.jpg

So, I invested in these weights, and wanted to put them to more use. Ray and I got to brainstorming, and he already had a great rear mount design. It is now on my sweeper machine. I shim out my FDT rear drawbars, to accommodate RBT attachments, and this weight carrier will now work on any of my machines, as well as RBT's. It will hold 43-172# with the rear lift in place. If you need 215#, you can unhook the lift rod and leave the lift bracket 'lame' and out of the way.

20130217_103539.jpg

20130217_103605.jpg

20130217_103546.jpg

To put the weights and carrier to further use, Ray built this bracket, similar in function to the FDT front counter weight. I told him I plan to use it in a static position with my vac and sprayer, but it would be nice to also use the suitcase weights for counterweight for mid and rear attachments, just like OEM. The RBT front weight carrier bolts right up.

Here it is...

20130217_112059-1.jpg

20130218_173156.jpg

20130218_173204.jpg

20130218_202654.jpg

20130218_202702.jpg

20130218_202736.jpg

20130218_202748.jpg

20130218_203002.jpg

20130218_202846.jpg

20130218_202854.jpg

20130217_110347.jpg

I think it's quite a nice piece of hardware, and I can now use these weights on the front or rear of any Simp/AC large frame tractor. This all came together very fast, and I'm sure with some more thinkin', the carrier could be used on the rear in a lift/counterweight style position as well.

Thanks Ray! I wish everyone could see this stuff in person...the build is just so clean.

quote:I wish everyone could see this stuff in person...the build is just so clean.id="quote">
id="quote">

I have seen these in person, and TMG's not exaggerating. The stuff looks like it was machine-made in a factory.

I should have dug up a lift rod to show that attached. I have an adjustable rod out on loan that I usually use for the front weights. It functions the same as an OEM front counterweight, but allowing the use of the suitcase weights.

IMAG0336-1.jpg

IMAG0335-1.jpg

IMAG0334-1.jpg

Josh and Chris thanks for the compliments. I am glad that they met your expectations. I would like to do a front - rear ball hitch next, but we got that lined up. I have made a couple of the rear ball hitches this weekend for a couple of members.

The MTD suit case weights on eBay and at Lowe's are a cheap alternative to other weights out there. The ones on eBay are even a better deal than Lowe`s.

quote:Originally posted by ngale65

Thats Awesome. I Know whats getting ordered for my HB next. :D

id="quote">
id="quote">Me too! Really cool & I already have 3 wts so guess what's next.

Very cool Josh 8D Another nicely built/designed project dOd

Ray you need to make a catalog for all your designed/built products & accessories :D

Thanks to Ray I got a weight bracket setup as well on my HB212. Now to find some suitcase weights and get everything painted. Thanks Guys for the idea and the build. Superb quality. :D

fw1.jpg

fw2.jpg

rw1.jpg

fw1.jpg.5db791c9766f9bdb809ab6974233c932.jpg

fw2.jpg.4a1fcc7d92f496bd5122efd3dc335c4e.jpg

rw1.jpg.2a698954c9c5b04f47b997c18f8f2f8b.jpg

Now the question is what color to paint them. The rear with be black to match the frame. but to do the front yellow or black. Hmmmmmmm

I would do semigloss Black paint with black primer to help hide scratches from suitcase weights...?

Nice fab work & good lookin equipment guys!!!

dOd

I went with black...I have 3 different colors of machines to swap it around on. ^

Would make for an awful lot of yellow on a B, IMO.

I was thinking semi gloss black to. Good thinking Greg on the black primer. I think that will be tomorrows project since it will take some time to dry. i also need to paint the rear wheel weights on the 212. Thoughts? black or yellow or antique white to match the wheels?

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference the rear weight bracket made. no chains on the tires and no slippage. Ray you are awesome.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w1.jpg.b8d5a7aef41380fd0d0cf8dcc32adb0c.jpg

w2.jpg.bcbfb9c70e2a1c3abe1a15a1edac4aea.jpg

Do we need to take donations so the club can send you a rattle can of Rustoleum? Black or Old Cat Yellow, which do you prefer? &:)

well, it killed me to put them on there. i just sanded them down to prep for paint but the tires were slipping and it was easier to throw that on than put the chains on. Plus i ordered a sandblast cabinet yesterday, so ill be blasting the brackets and wheel weights next week. I already have the paint :) smart ass. lol

quote:Originally posted by ngale65

or were you mocking my weights. I figured that would get a rise out of some people haha

id="quote">
id="quote">No, no. The wheel weights have 'petina'...the other weights...well, 'nuf said. ;) I don't know how the heck you're going to sandblast the castings of those critters off of those though.

Those deer weights need a can of body filler slathered on them...lol. Love the designs Ray!! I have one lonely suitcase weight that acts more like a door stop than anything else. So far, I haven't had lift or traction issues which warrants adding more weight than I currently use, but my 25lb dumbell weights don't look as cool as those suitcase weights and brackets. Nice work guys!!