Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tobski

switching carb from 10 hp briggs onto a 16 briggs

tobski

I'm wanting to temporarily put a dialed in, well working carburetor from a 10 hp briggs (model 243431) onto an briggs 16 hp (model 325431). The 16 hp doesnt have a carb but just got rings and coil replaced. I'm wanting to try it out and see if the rings and coil are in working order and everything, I know these carbs will interchange and share the same bolt pattern but since the 2 engines have different displacement would you expect that I will have to fiddle with the 10 hp carb to get it to work temporarily on the 16.

I realize this may seem like a lot of messing around but just dont have a good carb around for the 16, who knows, the carb might stay on the 16 if it goes o.k..

thanks in advance

HubbardRA

A carb is a carb, and size does not matter as much as most people think.

I have a 3-bolt carb from a 7 Hp engine on my 10 Hp. It is absolutely the most powerful 10 that I have ever owned.

I have run Mikuni carbs on B/S engines, B/S carbs on Kohlers, Ford carbs on Chevy engines, etc.

If the carb is in working order, and it will bolt onto the engine, then the engine should run fine. The biggest deal with changing carbs on these engines is getting the governors hooked up, but that really doesn't matter if you are just testing out the engine.

MrSteele

I have an old 3 HP carb that I keep putting on newer engines. It has been on the 3, a 3.5, a 5, is now resting comfortably on a 3.75. I keep the carb because it is still adjustable and has a manual choke. I have had to change governor linkage, even the blade governor on 2 engines.

The current carb on my 10 HP on a 65 Landlord, is the same one I used on a 16 til it started using more oil than gas and I took it off(the 16). Governor linkage is close enough that you probably won't have to adjust anything.