Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
fishnwiz

Sickle bar Questions

fishnwiz

What length did Sickle bars come in from the factory? Was a 32" version ever made? Were after market SBs available for simplicity mowers in shorter lengths?

Thanks, Mark

rokon2813

As far as I know, there were only the 46" A/c bars available for the large frame tractors.

I cannot speak for the powermax group.

I know haban made bars for other brands, CC, WH etc, don't think they made an AC though

Talntedmrgreen

A walkbehind sickle is very much like a gt sickle...they use many of the same parts. Obviously they mount and run off different chassis but lots of components cross over. He is either mistaken or its an adaptation. I wouldnt give much for such a thing...parts value? Their reach is their greatest asset.

dhardin

Never let a Simplicity walk behind (32") get away if the price is low. The knifes and guards on the walk behind are the same as the ones on the (46") tractor unit. The knifes and guards are like hen's teeth, hard to come by and very expensive.

The powermax (57") is totally different and has the larger knifes and still available at a reasonable price.

Talntedmrgreen

Mark, the walk behind sicklebars seem pretty common on CL in the $25-50 range, and around here they seem to sit for weeks before finding a home. Like Dan says, they are becoming the parts source for the GT mowers.

dhardin

Some are getting $4 and $5 for each knife and that much or more for the guards. It adds up fast, you can trade or resell for a nice tractor sickle from just these parts.

I have 3 walk behind sickle for parts in storage for use with my tractor unit. Good luck..