Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

how to strengthen axle tubes

AC712H

There has been a lot of talk about axle tubes being a week link. I have not taken an axle apart so I am not too familiar with them. Is there any ideas to make these axle tubes stronger?

quote:Originally posted by dhardin

I have added a pillow block bearing to the axle that takes the majority of the load off the trans axle. this bearing and several fabricated steel struts did the trick.http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-205-16-P&catname=powerTrans

id="quote">
id="quote">I would love to see some pictures of your fix!

Hi the problem is radial twist not load. If you have the tube out have a machine shop add 2 more keys in the tube make them pratt n whitney type They are round end type and cause less stress at the end that causes cracking. Broach the hub to match. you have droped the load on keys 50% {} Tuck

• Like 1

quote:Originally posted by tuck

Hi the problem is radial twist not load. If you have the tube out have a machine shop add 2 more keys in the tube make them pratt n whitney type They are round end type and cause less stress at the end that causes cracking. Broach the hub to match. you have droped the load on keys 50% {} Tuck

id="quote">
id="quote">That's a neat idea...

Check the forward reverse play/slop and you may need to take apart the axle assembly and install new keys before you wreak the axle tube, you will find the keys chewed up.Here is a picture of the muffler clamp on the right side axle on one of our pulling tractors.

axle clamp.JPG

This is what happens in the middle of a tractor pull when the tube axle breaks and unwinds.

broketransaxlew.jpg

57e05dbe24271_axleclamp.JPG.48ee9b9dbdd9fdf2812e75214743c460.JPG

broketransaxlew.jpg.8b6fb6f42424a289e47cf1bf475068e4.jpg

• Like 1

quote:Originally posted by MikeESThis is what happens in the middle of a tractor pull when the tube axle breaks and unwinds.

broketransaxlew.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">I just found this out yesterday ngr2

The thing is adding a tube would not help the torsional stress that comes from the keyway at the end. Adding a welded on sleeve would theoretically help the catastrophic spiral rip, at the risk of having a weld area induced crack later. One problem of doing so however is the inability of reinstalling the transmission housing since the tube slides through it. What makes the failures that significant is when it is not caught in time. Even if caught it still has to be replaced, but it will at least keep it from exploding as pictured. I caught mine once, welded it at the crack and got another year out of it before it surprised me in a 3 ft snow storm(of course) and did the pictured. If it is ground in far enough and welded hot enough at the crack it can at least be made to run a while, but the thing to keep in mind is much of the cracking happens below the surface.

In actuality, the fatigue life of the part is considerably long if you think about a zero-time part all the way to failure. To achieve 20+ years of service from a high stress location is pretty decent.

I have split one in 40 plus years of using my tractors and that was after years of plowing dirt ,moving dirt and grading.. In that time frame after thousands of gear/clutch changes the life expectance is far greater than you would get with tractors today. Easy on the clutch engagement helps prolong the life .

• Like 1

Had mine crack on the 3112H and I put the muffler clamp on it and it is still running 3 years later. Granted it isn't a full time tractor that it used to be, but I plow dirt, move wood with trailer, etc and its still holding together.

I had one that I held together with a muffler clamp, when I finally tore ut apart to replace the tube there was barely anything holding it together.

I agree on avoiding wheel weights.

Broke my axle tube on the 914H yesterday plowing snow. First time that has happened to me. Big chunk of the tube broke away and fell off, then the hydro oil ran out. Thats whe I noticed a problemXX(

Not running wheel weights on that tractor. Got a static weight hanging off the rear frame.

Luckily my boy has a spare tranny sitting over at his place.

Hope the winter snows are over...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that any extra weight could have a long term negative affect. Heavy wheel weights would add to the rotational/torsional stress. Weights hanging off the back hitch would add a load onto the axle - which could cause flexing and cracking. The failures seem pretty random. Yes they happen, but it seems all horsepowers and all types of uses have seen the same breakage. Obviously tractor pulling made for a spectacular failure, but that's not the tractors intended use. I knew a guy with a 920 years ago that broke 3 in 25 years with it. Had very heavy homemade wheel weights, and claimed no abuse or hard use with ground engaging attachments like a garden plow. I should go put clamps on my 18hp Sov and the 7016 puller - at least minimize the trans case from getting chewed up by a split tube. Tim